How do I get to the second definition on the Mac dictionary widget?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KasparCorbin, Jul 10, 2008.

1. KasparCorbin macrumors newbie

Where there are multiple definitions for a word (e.g., "excise"), the Mac dictionary widget puts a superscript "1". How do I view the second meaning?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Scroll down to it?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Scroll down or resize the window.

Attached Files:

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Your picture is of the app, and the question appears to be about the Dashboard widget, but the answer is the same--just scroll down and it should be there.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're quite right! I missed the part about it being a widget. I see the problem now. The widget only shows the first definition and nothing else. It's much better, in my opinion, to just use the app. The app is easier to get to and gives far more information.

Attached Files:

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, my widget has scrollbars. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you drag the lower right corner down and to the right, you won't have scroll bars. The point is, there is only one definition in the widget, but more in the app.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...my widget has both definitions. I'm on Tiger, btw.

[​IMG]

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Interesting! Was removing extra definitions from the widget a "feature" of Leopard that I missed? :D

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow, I guess that's a bug in Leopard. Not working for me -- I only get the first definition.

11. KasparCorbin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the problem is about the widget (not the app.), and I am also running leopard.

I'm glad (in some ways) to find that others are having the same problem. However, I feel like there must be some solution, right? These aren't the sorts of things I feel are usually overlooked (e.g., because it was working well in the last OS).

But thanks all for the responses. Please let me know if you figure anything out.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'm running leopard and use the widget......and I get all of the definitions

13. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I only get one on Leopard, here...

Very odd...

I wonder if there's a way to revert it?

14. Idaho Redneck macrumors newbie

It's 2011 and I am still having the same issue on Leopard. Has anyone figured it out?

15. Makosuke, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, on my Snow Leopard machine at work, the widget definitely shows both definitions of "excise", so it's got to be some kind of configuration issue.

You could see if it's a preference issue by closing the widget, then going to your Preferences folder and deleting "widget-com.apple.widget.dictionary.plist", then re-adding the widget, and seeing if it works properly. I just did that and it is showing both definitions, so if it's a preference that somehow got messed up, that would fix it.

You could also try deleting the general Dictionary plist (com.apple.Dictionary.plist), but you might need to re-select the dictionaries you use with it.

I'll also try this in Lion when I get home, to see if there's any difference.

[Edit: Yep, both definitions show up on Lion as well. Must be due to either a configuration oddity, a preference glitch, or some sort of messed-up install.]