Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UpDownAeroplane

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
i would really like to try linux on my mac mini. i love the idea of open-source. anyways, i feel i am a bit lost on what to do. with boot camp, there is a process that guides you along for installing windows on your mac. is there something similar for a version of linux or better yet, can it be installed via boot camp? i would like for me to be able to select my operating system at boot-up, similar as you can with boot camp.:D

also, i hope this isn't too off-topic, but what linux distro do you recommend for a first-time user? i have looked at both ubuntu and linux mint and will probably use one of those two.

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
it is very easy to do(I am currently running Fedora Linux on my MBP). Open the BootCamp assistant, and make the bootcamp partition the size you would like it to be. Once you are done running through the assistant, you should have an option to close and restart later. Now burn the .iso of the distro you would like to try(I recommend Ubuntu) using Disc Utility. Once the burn is done, reboot your mac holding the option key. Wait for a sec, and arrow over to CD(it may say windows for the name) and hit enter. After a while you will be running a live cd version of ubuntu. If you like it and want to install, you need to run Gparted, (System->Administration->PartitionTools *I think*), and delete the partition titled "BOOTCAMP". Close gparted. Now, run the installer, and when you get to the partitioning setup, select "use unallocated space". The rest of the install process is pretty easy. Once the install is done, you may need to install some drivers, but it should be working. To boot into ubuntu, remember to hold option during boot and select "Windows"(yes, I know, lol).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.