How do i go about makeing a mailing list

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Dec 23, 2009.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

I have my own website about podcasting. What i would like to do is make a box where someone can enter there email address it then gets submitted to a database or something and then when i want to send everyone whos in the list an email i just enter one email which send it to them all?

has anybody else tried making this before if so was it any good?
    Or is there a beetter way to do it?

Many Thanks In Advance.
    Sorry if that does not make sence to you :eek:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

An alternative would be an RSS feed. Then people can subscribe to that and would know when you've got a new podcast. That way you don't have to send anything out.

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I would highly recommend MailChimp for mailing list. It makes it easy to set up and maintain mailing list and allows you to view how well your mailing list is doing by using its built-in analytics.

4. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

The first decision is if you really need their email address. If not, RSS, as mentioned by Angelwatt, might be the best way because it avoids the hassles of actually maintaining lists.

If you decide to make a mailing list you'll need be mindful of the spam laws. California has some rather strict ones that can amount to serious fines. The best way to manage a mailing list (IMO) is through a provider and there are plenty. The costs are quite low and they manage things like "unsubscribe" (required by law in some places) and statistics on who is reading, responding, what platform they are on, browser, etc.

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i've also been looking for a mailing list too, and will give this one a try.