Resolved How do I go about ordering my X?

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Hi everyone, so I’m a little confused on if something I’m trying to do is possible. I’m currently on Verizon still on the old “upgrade every 2 Years” contract. When I go through the Verizon app, it says I can upgrade early if I pay 15% of my new device off. That’s all fine, but I’m more concerned with how I can go about this through Apple. I did a dummy order for the iPhone 8 with Verizon finance and even all the way to the end, my only option was to order it for full price. No financing options, nothing. Is this because I can only go to the new yearly plans through Verizon? Is it not possible to do it through Apple? I really want to avoid them as I don’t want to have to wait forever for my X (my 7+ is on its last leg.) Any help would be appreciated!

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Order the new X through Apple and select a payment plan - Annual Upgrade or not basically, $7 per month difference. Then deal with your old phone when it arrives. Who knows with the delays if your 15% to get out of contract fee will still be in effect. In summary, go through Apple and get in queue. Deal with your old phone after.

Call it a new phone on your plan for now. Plan meaning service, don't buy from Verizon, go through Apple.

Reactions: J.Car

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
No no, it’s because I’m still on the grandfathered 2 year plan where you get locked into contract for the subsidized iPhone. I still have a year left, but I want to upgrade it now and in order to do it I need to pay 15%. Here’s the screenshot of it:
But you said "the device is completely paid off" didn't you? To me that means out of contract?

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
But you said "the device is completely paid off" didn't you? To me that means out of contract?
Well I mean it is paid off, I paid the subsidy price and I am free to sell it if I wanted to and replace it with a different device. I am still locked into the contract though, until I change it on Friday.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Well I mean it is paid off, I paid the subsidy price and I am free to sell it if I wanted to and replace it with a different device. I am still locked into the contract though, until I change it on Friday.
Ok, not really following how that works but best of luck.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
If you paid the subsidy price, the device is not “completely paid off”. You only paid $200-300 of a $600-700 phone. You’re basically paying for the rest of the phone because it’s rolled into your actual phone bill for another year.

That’s why they stopped doing this. It’s not as clear to the customer as to what they’re actually paying. Now they’ve extracted the phone costs from the bill and separated them, so you can see what you’re actually paying. Which makes the actual plan look cheaper, but then when you add the device payment, it’s closer to what you’d pay on the old subsidy plans. Plus if you keep a phone longer than two years on the old subsidy plans, you’d still be paying that higher plan price, even though the phone value itself has already been accounted for. Meanwhile on the new plans, if you keep the phone for over 2 years, your device payments end and now you’re paying a much smaller bill - without continuing to pay for a device you’ve already paid off.

I know it sounds confusing and it’s a bit hard to explain, but the new way is actually less confusing once you see what’s going on.

But personally I prefer to just pay the device in full, so I don’t have to worry about any of that.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
If you paid the subsidy price, the device is not “completely paid off”. You only paid $200-300 of a $600-700 phone. You’re basically paying for the rest of the phone because it’s rolled into your actual phone bill for another year.

That’s why they stopped doing this. It’s not as clear to the customer as to what they’re actually paying. Now they’ve extracted the phone costs from the bill and separated them, so you can see what you’re actually paying. Which makes the actual plan look cheaper, but then when you add the device payment, it’s closer to what you’d pay on the old subsidy plans. Plus if you keep a phone longer than two years on the old subsidy plans, you’d still be paying that higher plan price, even though the phone value itself has already been accounted for. Meanwhile on the new plans, if you keep the phone for over 2 years, your device payments end and now you’re paying a much smaller bill - without continuing to pay for a device you’ve already paid off.

I know it sounds confusing and it’s a bit hard to explain, but the new way is actually less confusing once you see what’s going on.

But personally I prefer to just pay the device in full, so I don’t have to worry about any of that.
I actually didn’t know that at all, wow. Thank you for the explanation. I talked with Verizon and Apple and they both said it’s notcpossible to do through apples website so I have to use Verizon’s for my preorder essentially, which is a bummer

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
I actually didn’t know that at all, wow. Thank you for the explanation. I talked with Verizon and Apple and they both said it’s notcpossible to do through apples website so I have to use Verizon’s for my preorder essentially, which is a bummer
Yeah I’m your case, I think you’re only option is to pay full price when ordering through Apple. The Verizon trade-in deals usually require you to buy from Verizon.

But don’t be too bummed. I always do my pre-orders from Verizon since the iPhone 4, and I always get them on release day. This might be my first time going directly through Apple, since I’m hoping to do in-store pickup (going out of town on the 3rd and don’t want to miss the delivery).