How do I go about upgrading to the iPhone 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAppleGeek, May 25, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Whenever Steve officially announces the next iPhone, should I pre-order the device or just go and buy it the morning it comes out? I've never pre-ordered a cellphone, so tips would be appreciated.

2. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

1) 4G

2) If you can pre-order I'd take that option!

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Pre-order it IMO. And it has a G4 processor? Sweet! ;)

4. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would pre-order it. I know I am because Apple has a new policy apparently established last year with the 3GS that even as an authorized user, you can't sign a new contract and you need to have the primary account holder to be there at the store. I wish this wasn't the case because I loved the experience when I stood in line for my 3G.

6. Neil1138 macrumors regular

Wow that's a load of crap. Guess I'm going to be pre-ordering it

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

actually that was made at the 3g release cause i remember being told this while waiting in line.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Really? I got my 3G with no problems. Just told them the last 4 digits of my dads SSN gave them my credit card and ID( which states my name, etc) and when they pulled the account up, I believed it did state my dads name. I got lucky I guess.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's called looking the other way.

10. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

I called AT&T when I was getting the 3G and the account is in my wife's name. I had them authorize me as an authorized user on the account to be able to make changes. I had the rep note the account that I would be the one getting the new iPhone.

Launch day my brother and I waited outside the AT&T store ( first in line ) and had no problems when they pulled up the account. gave last 4 of the wife's SSN and Boom New 16 GB white 3G,

I am going to do the same for this one, and be the first in line for the new iPhone 4 4G or HD :D

11. StephenRzucidlo macrumors member

just walk into apple store or at&t and buy one

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Pre-ordering at Apple is fun. Pre-order and you get separated into two lines, one that did preorder and one that did not. Preorders go first. Thats what they did with the 3GS release.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yup, preorder line was nice and quick. The non-preorders kept giving us dirty looks. :p

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Well I would be choosing for it to be shipped to my house. Though I forget. Did they do that last year or did the pre-ordering only meant you got priority in picking one up and couldn't get it shipped to your home?

I certainly hope you can have it shipped to your home. Don't see why not as they do with the 3GS. All you have to do is go through the stuff you normally do at the store online and then it gets shipped to your home and plug into iTunes, activates it, and sync it.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You can have it shipped to your home. I didn't want to wonder all day when the UPS guy would show, so I picked it up on my way to work.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I know you can now.

But, wasn't last year you could only pre-order it online when it launched, but have to go pick it up in the store?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope, people had it delivered @ home.

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Cool. :D

19. h1w1nd macrumors member

I pre-order over the phone and have AT&T fed ex them overnight free of charge. Easiest way to do it, no lines, no driving around. :)

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The lines are a cool experience though. I talked to a couple of really nice people while waiting in line for my 3G. :)