Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
After upgrading through the App Store last night, I woke up to Finder Quit Unexpectedly errors this morning. Nothing seemed to work and it would go into error again no matter I did. I booted into Recovery Mode with Command-R and ran Disk Utility on the hard drive. One error came up with invalid directory count (35 instead of 34), but it seemed to fix that and had an exit code of 0.
Restarted and the same Finder error occurs. Trying now to boot into safe mode (shift), but it seems to be taking forever to start up (finger getting numb) and the progress bar about 90%.
I have a Time Machine Back-up that is current and a carbon copy about two weeks ago. Can I re-install 10.12.3 from the recovery Partition? Or, what would be the fastest way?

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Update: I waited some more on the boot screen with the Shift key to try and get into safe mode and the progress bar filled up completely but did not ever boot. Did the following:
Unplugged iMac for 15 seconds and started normally. This should reset the SMC. The boot process was very slow as well and never finished (status bar was full).
Did a re-start to reset the NVRAM (Opt-Cmd-P-R) and let it cycle twice. The reboot was very slow this time too. Machine is running very hot as well. Did not complete either.
Letting it cool off for a while.
[doublepost=1490834949][/doublepost]Well, now it won't even start up. On a regular start-up, the progress bar will fill up and it just sits there and gets hot. Guess I will try the Recovery mode in the morning after this POS cools off. Still wondering what is the best way to get me back to where I was yesterday.

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Well, I restored from time machine (for the first time) and it all worked out well. Don't think I'm going to try that again, though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.