How do I go back to Kit Kat

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by eclipse01, Nov 20, 2014.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Lollipop made my Nexus 7 basically unusable, is there an easy way (without rooting or anything) to go back to Kit Kat?

2. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

N7 2013 or 2012? (asking not because I know the answer to your Q, but because don't want to ruin my N7 2013)

3. Mildredop macrumors 68020

This website is largely Apple. Try asking at an Android forum.

4. Sensamic macrumors 68030

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

It's not difficult but certainly not a simple one-click type option--you'll need to unlock the bootloader and flash the stock image of KitKat. I manually flashed Lollipop on my Nexus 7 yesterday without issue--took about 10 minutes.

Assuming you're doing this on a Mac, here's the video I used for reference as it had been a while since I'd done something like this.

Go here to get the Android SDK and here to get the image of KitKat for your Nexus 7 (look for 4.4.4 link under factory images of 'Razor').

Take your time, watch the tutorial before starting and you'll have no problems. Good luck.

6. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

but this area is Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

----------

7. SolarShane macrumors 6502

Isn't this forum called "Alternatives to iOS and iOS devices" for a reason?

8. khha4113 macrumors regular

khha4113

I used Nexus tool kit to load Lollipop on my Nexus 5.. It is 1-click application that do all the work for you.

----------

Well, it's still better to try android forums though. I recommend XDA's.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Actually, my understanding is that you must unlock the bootloader, but I'm guessing that part of the process was included in the toolkit.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

You don't need to, but it is as simple as opening a command prompt and typing 'Fastboot OEM Unlock'

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Isn't that actually just the command that does the unlocking?

12. khha4113 macrumors regular

khha4113

I'm sorry, you're right. What I mean is there is a program that can do it for you like Wugfresh.

----------

To someone that is not familiar to the process, it might be intimidating.

13. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yep. That is all I was referring to.

After that it is 'flash-all.bat' from the unzipped tgz image

----------

Wugfresh or downloading the SDK and using fastboot commands. Is either any more intimidating than the other? I prefer to be in control of how a program works, rather than letting someone's app do it.

Plus, you don't learn anything with wugfresh and if something goes wrong, you are clueless on what to do to fix the issue.

14. Twixt macrumors 6502

I am curious to understand what do you mean by unusable? Lag ? Freeze ? bugs?

15. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I have years of experience with both Android and iPhones. Taking personal responsibility to learn your devices will save you hours of wasted time relying on others every time you have a problem.

Never use the first version of any OS, wait until it's been out for a few months, some bug fixes have been released and reports on the web are good. Saves you the problems you have now.

Go to XDA developers forum, or AndroidForums for easy answers to your issue. Study a little now and be happy that it's very easily solved.