How do I go UP a directory?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sdsvtdriver, May 17, 2009.

1. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

If for example, I open my Documents folder and decide I want to change to my home folder, how would I do this?

In Windows, I'd use the folder up button. Am I missing it in OSX?

[​IMG]

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

[​IMG]

That's as close as it'll get to what you want.

EDIT: Sorry for the ugly arrow, did this in a hurry.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Command+up arrow, or you can right-click on the title of the window (the name of the folder) to go up an arbitrary number of levels. The right-click trick also works in Safari.

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Command-Up Arrow goes up a directory (Command-Down goes down as well). But also, Command-[ goes back (in Finder's history) and Command-] goes forward. 90% of the time, that's the same directory; the exception being if you're following an alias or looking through search results. One cool extra of using Command-Up vs Command-[ is that the directory you were just in is automatically selected.

Also, FWIW, Command-Down Arrow works much like Command-O (open). If you Command-Down on a file it will open it as Command-O or double clicking would have.

5. louiek macrumors 6502

Control-click on the grey area at the top of a finder window and select "customize toolbar". Drag the icon labelled "Path" to your finder window. Hit "Done". Clicking on this button gives you your folder hierarchy and you can choose any point in it.

6. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

excellent suggestions! Thanks guys. I'm good to go now.