Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I created a second account on osx and i would like for it to have access to all the files and apps from my first account.

I am able to run almost all apps from the first account except a few (esp. Firefox).

I would also would like to be able to access my first accounts' documents/pictures/music library.

From the first account, I have given it read and write access to the second account, but some of the items are still locked.

Thanks for any help :)

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi,

bring up the Info window for the item you'd like to change. At the bottom of the window (below the list of users) click the cog wheel and pick something like "Apply to Enclosed Items".

Hope this helps.
/Rupert

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Nope, no such option. It only asks if i want to make this certain account the master or not. I did it and nothing happened. I'm still getting the "....Firefox is not supported in this architecture." :(

And also getting some stupid error w/ Word, PP, Excel, Entourage saying something about the installer.

All these programs work fine w/ my first account I installed it with.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
First off, where are these apps installed? I.E. do a Get Info on Firefox, for example, and let us know what it says for "Where:"

All apps are installed through my master account.

Where: \application.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
If your applications are installed in /Applications, then, unless somehow permissions have changed on your Applications folder, all accounts should have access to them.

Ya, that's the strange thing. Most the apps work perfectly fine in the other account except a select few apps, zzz.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Yup, strange. Login to the second account and do a Get Info on the Firefox app. What does it say for Sharing & Permissions?

I gave both accounts "Reada & Write" access FireFox.App

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I reinstalled it and it now works in the second account. But the Microsoft products are still acting weird.....zzzz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.