how do i ground my imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jjvaldez, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jjvaldez macrumors newbie

Hi, just bought some ram online and i was advised to ground my computer when installing the new ram, can someone please explain how to do that so that I can change my ram, thanks.

2. JonasDK macrumors member

I know this does not answer your question, but what I did was just to unplug the power cord, put the iMac on a table (with a soft towel in between the screen and table) and change the RAM. No problems.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Connect the power cable to a 3-pin (grounded) power socket and turn it off at the wall (the ground stays connected when it's switched off).

4. jjvaldez thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i just was not sure if i could do it in a carpeted room or if i had to move it to the kitchen.

5. Aspirefly macrumors newbie

Just touch the metal on the iMac and you will release your static electric charge and not screw stuff up.

6. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Being a previous computer tech, the "grounding" often refers to grounding the human body with the computer's main board - to eliminate any static electricity. In the old days, we used grounding straps (from wrist to main circuit board). Sometimes called anti-static wrist straps.

Today, RAM chips are very stable. If/when I install more memory in my computer, I simply rub/hold my one hand on the computer's base (like its outer aluminium case) and install the SIMM chips with the other hand. Thus, "bleeding off" any electrical charges - before the SIMM chips touches the system's mother board.

In the old days, memory SIMM chips were very sensitive to static. Today's memory chips are much more stable. As a proactive pre-cation, simply touch the computer's base with your other hand. Then, insert the SIMMs with your main hand. Thus, "equalizing" the static charges of computer and your body. Same charge = NO static = good thing.

Works for me....