How do I guarantee a non-mobile web site on safari for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omerbaker, Jun 24, 2009.

1. omerbaker macrumors member

Pretty much what the title says, I'm trying to get a non-mobile website on my iPhone but safari keeps pulling up the mobile website. Anyone know how to pull up the regular website? Thanks.

2. arykmax macrumors regular

Depending on the website, there is usually an option at the bottom or top of the mobile page for the full site.

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

4. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

i want to know to because maxim always show up mobile and thats not cool with me :mad:

5. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

maxim thinks its a cell phone and i hate maxim for this but seriously im am very curious why it would show up as a mobile version when apple claims its like a full browser in your hand

6. cobalt135 macrumors regular

Your browser sends information about itself and the OS you are using every time you send a request. The site will then use that info to redirect if they wish.

I hate it as well, a local news site here redirects to a text only horrible looking page when I use the iPhone. I even e-mailed them about it saying iPhone users have a fully functional browser and should not be redirected. No response and still the same WAP page.:mad: I mean, it would be so easy for them to exclude the redirect...

Another example of this in action is when you go to download an application on a site. When you click the "Download" link some sites will send you directly to the page to download the software for your particular OS.

7. cobalt135 macrumors regular

Here is the info for anyone interested...

Using OSX with Safari:

Request: GET /browser-check/ HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.htaccesstools.com
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.1 Safari/530.18
    Accept: application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
    Accept-Language: en-us
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Accept-Charset:
    Keep-Alive:
    Connection: keep-alive
    Referer:
    Remote Address (IP): xx.xxx.xxx.xxx(my edit)
    Country (Based on IP): United States

And iPhone:

Request: GET /browser-check/ HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.htaccesstools.com
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16
    Accept: application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
    Accept-Language: en-us
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Accept-Charset:
    Keep-Alive:
    Connection: keep-alive
    Referer:
    Remote Address (IP): xx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my edit)
    Country (Based on IP): United States

8. omerbaker thread starter macrumors member

So does this help? And if so, how?

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

What is the website so we can figure this out?

10. cobalt135 macrumors regular

I was just explaining how these sites determine a redirect if they choose to do so.

Your answers were given.....

If the site asks obviously pick the full version link

If the site redirects to a WAP page with no links to go to the full version your out of luck.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

What he was showing you is the User-Agent strings that each browser sends. That's what websites use to decide whether to serve up their mobile version or not.

Some other mobile browsers allow you to switch the User Agent on the fly, so you can either be a mobile, or simulate a desktop to get the full pages.

iPhone Safari has needed something like that since the beginning.

But since it doesn't have that feature, your option is to figure out if there's a hardcoded desktop URL you can use to access the website. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to email them and ask. They're usually happy to oblige.

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

yea i agree. on my g1 when i go to cnn and maxim i get the full site. on my ipod touch i get the mobile version for both.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

google the website, and then, instead of tapping the name, tap cached down below the name (next to the url listed under the search result)
    this will take you to the full site instead of the mobile

14. omerbaker thread starter macrumors member

its traffic.com.

I tried the google to the website. I even went to the classic google website and searched "traffic.com", found the link, clicked on it, then in the address bar it went from traffic.com to mobi.traffic.com.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

when I've run into that problem, I've deleted the cache, temporary files, and history and been able to get the regular website to come up (for example, Yahoo).

16. omerbaker thread starter macrumors member

I cleared the cache and went to google and then to traffic.com. I was still sent to the mobile site.

17. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

whats a guy to do when he wants to look at maxim hotties :cool: and all he gets is the crappy cell phone version :mad:

18. firewood macrumors 604

Find a http proxy server that can spoof the user agent as something non-mobile.