How do I hide ALL extensions?

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I know I can go into each individual file and bring up the "get info" window, then click "hide extension" but I want to hide all extensions for all my files (including anything I download in the future). Is there a setting I can go into so that it will do this for me?

Thanks! :D

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Finder > Preferences > Show all file extensions (uncheck)
Thanks, but when I went to the finer preferences, it was already unchecked. Only some of the extensions are hidden; some are not. Why is that?

Some jpg are hidden and some are not, for example.

samcampbell

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
Freeware Automator workflow: "Hide Extensions"

I have just found this freeware :apple: Automator workflow, Hide Extensions.

It allows you to install a function into Finder that lets you control-click and run "Hide Extension" on all selected files (including an option to include files within folders).

I think this might do the trick - it is certainly what I was looking for! :)

Sam

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I have just found this freeware :apple: Automator workflow, Hide Extensions.

It allows you to install a function into Finder that lets you control-click and run "Hide Extension" on all selected files (including an option to include files within folders).

I think this might do the trick - it is certainly what I was looking for! :)

Sam

Man, you are awesome!

I hated seeing .ppt or .docx 3 million times throughout my documents folder.

Thanks...

zv6000

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
Updated link

The aforementioned link by Sam didn't work. Here's the revised / updated version:

<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/hideorshowextensions.html>

Cheers!

CharlieReynolds

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
The aforementioned link by Sam didn't work. Here's the revised / updated version:

<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/hideorshowextensions.html>

Cheers!
I have downloaded this but was wondering how you still are able to download it into finder?

zv6000

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
I have downloaded this but was wondering how you still are able to download it into finder?
Hi CharlieReynolds.

Apple keeps updating the page and the previous link I'd updated now doesn't work.

Anyway, can you please explain what you mean when you say you are "able to download it into finder"?

Were you able to get the extension to work in conjunction with the Automator? Or can you not download the file in the first place?

Have to run on a quick errand but will get back to you shortly if you need additional help.

Cheers.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Has anyone figured this out yet? I moved all of my movies onto a External Drive and I don't want the extensions to show, it would take me weeks to go into each individual movie and click "Hide Extension". I need a way to do it for all the files.....Anyone?

Just quick reminder, the - Finder - Preference - Hide all Extension does nothing so that's definitely out of the list of ways to make this happen.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Can't tell you where to find that script, but here is another way to accomplish what you want.

- Select all the files that you want to hide the extension.
- do the key combo: cmd-option-i
- select the hide extension check box.

shannonehart

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2018
Can't tell you where to find that script, but here is another way to accomplish what you want.

- Select all the files that you want to hide the extension.
- do the key combo: cmd-option-i
- select the hide extension check box.

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much, this was exactly what I was looking for :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.