Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littledigger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Manchester UK
I have 2 external hard drives on my mac, one is accessed by others on the network and the other i don't want the others to access. The private drive is already password protected but when i unlock it, everyone on the network can also access it. How do i keep it private?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
More specifically, select the volume (drive) icon in Finder and open the info window ( cmd-I , File->Get Info or right-click->Get Info ). At the bottom of the "General" section, there should be a check box "Shared Folder".

littledigger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Manchester UK
More specifically, select the volume (drive) icon in Finder and open the info window ( cmd-I , File->Get Info or right-click->Get Info ). At the bottom of the "General" section, there should be a check box "Shared Folder".

I just tried this, and it doesn't work. The drive is still visible on the network.

littledigger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Manchester UK
It may be visible, but no one should be able to actually access it.

Tried it today, and its still accessable over the network. The tick box is by default unticked and the drive is accessable, and when i tick the box, the drive is still accessable. OS is 10.5 on iMac 24" x 5 on the network, connecting via file sharing and as registered users.

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
Has anyone found an answer?

I now have the same problem littledigger had and I was wondering if he ever got another answer, because it appears the last one didn't work for him.

MauricioJaramil

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Any solution?

I think it's important, but there are only few threads and forums about this problem. Anybody got a solution? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.