Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctsgmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
I may be delusional, but I SWEAR i can remember there was a way to hide the wifi status bar icon if the mac is connected to wifi. I dont know, maybe i heard it somewhere else on some other platform BUT! Is there a way to do it anyways? Like what for I need the wifi icon in my menu bar while im connected, i would like to have an easy access to it while IM SEARCHING for a connection. I could swear i saw this somewhere. Any help appreciated - scripts also come into play i think its just a cool feature to have :)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
system preferences>network: uncheck 'show wifi status in menu bar'; or try command-dragging the icon from the menubar....

EDIT: ah, sorry. you want the icon to disappear once you're connected. hmmm. you used to be able to make an alias of hard drive>system>library>preference panes>network and put the alias on the desktop (for example) as a shortcut (i did this, back in the day), but that no longer works....

EDIT EDIT: am confused. ?‍♂️ if you remove the icon, where's your 'easy access' going to be?? try bartender, an app that lets you hide select menu icons, and it's very easy to access them when needed.

Last edited:

ctsgmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
system preferences>network: uncheck 'show wifi status in menu bar'; or try command-dragging the icon from the menubar....
i mean hide it while im connected - i know how to hide it but i also know i find it very handy when i need to connect to a new wifi or my hotspot - i'd just like to hide it from the menu bar while im connected actively to wifi

ctsgmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
Maybe a bit unclear - I didnt mean "How to hide the wifi from the menu bar" while im connected now - i meant "how to get the icon visibility dependent on whether im connected to wifi or im not connected to any source of wireless connection or hotspot"
cheers guys

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Maybe a bit unclear - I didnt mean "How to hide the wifi from the menu bar" while im connected now - i meant "how to get the icon visibility dependent on whether im connected to wifi or im not connected to any source of wireless connection or hotspot"
cheers guys
that's a whole different question 🙄; and where would your shortcut access be? am now more confused (& will let someone else deal with this). you want the icon to vanish when you're on wifi, but return when you're not. good luck with that

Reactions: DaPhox

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
that's a whole different question 🙄; and where would your shortcut access be? am now more confused (& will let someone else deal with this). you want the icon to vanish when you're on wifi, but return when you're not. good luck with that

Agreed... AFAIK, it doesn't exist, so the OP would have to "roll his own" ...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OP the app Bartender will do what you want.

Screen_Shot_2021-09-19_at_8_48_11_AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.