How do I hide the hard drive icons on my desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeyTree, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

My computer crashed earlier today, and some of my settings were reset to defaults. I've changed most of them back, but I can't figure out how I made the icons for my hard drive disappear from the desktop.

Am I missing something simple?

2. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

There is a setting in the Finder prefs that allow you to check what is shown under General

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Finder - Preferences - General - "Show these items on the Desktop"

4. iPhazer macrumors newbie

For some reason this doesn't remove my bootcamp partition. I have to uncheck dvd's and drives. Anyone know how to remove it from the desktop other than ejecting it after every reboot?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, you can set the "invisible" flag for that drive. The following link shows how to do it a couple of ways, and although this particular articles is discussing the Time Machine drive icon, it works equally well for a Boot Camp drive icon by just entering your Boot Camp icon's name in the command. I used this to hide both the Time Machine and Boot Camp icons.

http://www.macworld.com/article/132782/2008/04/finderhidetm.html

By the way, it says that you have to have the developer's toolkit from Apple installed, but that is not necessarily true. The command used ("SetFile") is often already on your system, provided in the background with some of the Apple updates.

Try the terminal version first- if the Terminal comes back with a Command not found or such you can either install the Developer's tools or use the script method shown below that in the article. Nothing will be harmed by trying the Terminal command first.

Also, note that the icon won't normally vanish until the Finder is relaunched, and a relaunch is the simplest way to do that.

As noted in the article, it is a simple matter to revert it to visible with the same command in Terminal, just changing the captial V to a lowercase v.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Or you can boot into windows and put a "." in front of the Drive name. That is what i did as it was less "hacking" around that way.