Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spritixcore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
so i have a nikon d50 dslr and a macbook.

i want to some how sync my computer to my camera like a external display...

i know how to set it up on a tv but how do i do it on my macbook...

like is there a program i have to have or what....

i was to take pictures and as soon it is snapped it shows up on my computer screen rather then the lcd on my camera...

please help

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I don't have a Nikon, but I do the same with my Canon. If should be part of the software that was bundled with your camera.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
i was to take pictures and as soon it is snapped it shows up on my computer screen rather then the lcd on my camera...

please help

What your asking for there I think is normally a professional photographers system, I'd imagine it to be quite pricey.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
What your asking for there I think is normally a professional photographers system, I'd imagine it to be quite pricey.

Really? You can certainly do it easily with a bottom of the range Canon DSLR using the software provided with the camera.

I'd do a Google search for "Nikon D50 Tethered Mode" and see what comes back.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The process is called "tethered shooting" and the program required is Nikon Camera Capture Control, available in camera shops which serve professional photographers. This is less expensive than the other program used by many professionals and serious amateurs, Nikon Capture NX. Actually, I'm not sure whether or not a D50 can be used in tethered mode.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

please help

They call this "tethered shooting" You can controls the camera from the computer. Two ways to do this:

Nikon has some software that allows you to do this. You got a trial version of it with your camera. Nikon has changed the names but it is something like "capture NX"?? I've seen i on the Nikon web site.

Also Apple is working on this. I've not looked at the new Image Capture that comes with Leopard yet. But tethered shooting is one of the 300 new features in leopard. But all they say on the Apple site is "more cameras from Canon and Nikon are supported".

spritixcore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
ahh thanks so very much everyone...

i was googling everything from...

"how do i hook up my camera to my computer while shooting"

to

"im a freaking idiot and i want to do this right!"

haha

thanks ill look around and see if i can find some stuff

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Nikon Camera Control, Bibble, ToneUp S3 and (I think) the old Capture 4.3 should be able to do this for a D50, I'm not sure if NX supports tethering. ToneUp S3 is your cheapest option at ~$15.

http://www.oxfordeye.co.uk/toneup/newwebsite/indepth.aspx

If you want lens correction and your lens is supported and you shoot raw, Bibble is very difficult to beat- but you need Pro for tethering ~$130.

http://bibblelabs.com/

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
Image Capture will do this and you already have it (it is improved with Leopard but it has done this since at least Panther). It really is a decent little app that has overlooked features. Of course, the $$ apps will probably offer some additional functionality, but free is free.

As long as your camera supports PTP connections (and the Nikon d50 does IIRC), just tether the camera to the Mac with the usb cable and you'll be able to control the camera from the mac. Once a picture is taken (via the Mac or camera), it'll appear on the Mac.

Apple has Automator workflows available on their site to use tethered mode with Aperture and I remember reading that someone got it to work with iPhoto as well.

spritixcore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Image Capture will do this and you already have it (it is improved with Leopard but it has done this since at least Panther). It really is a decent little app that has overlooked features. Of course, the $$ apps will probably offer some additional functionality, but free is free.

As long as your camera supports PTP connections (and the Nikon d50 does IIRC), just tether the camera to the Mac with the usb cable and you'll be able to control the camera from the mac. Once a picture is taken (via the Mac or camera), it'll appear on the Mac.

Apple has Automator workflows available on their site to use tethered mode with Aperture and I remember reading that someone got it to work with iPhoto as well.

thats awesome....

where can i find like a tutoral on how to get it to work

Evanrude

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Washington State
The program you might want to look for is the Nikon Camera Control Pro. It is compatible with the D50. It SHIPS with the D80.

Make sure you don't get the Control Pro II, it's only for the higher end DSLR like the D200 and the D2x.

Information about it.. Camera Control Pro

The software costs $70.

My Canon S3 iS digital came with their version. I can mount the camera on a tripod and then have a live preview on my screen + all controls over flash, macro, zoom, etc. at the click of a mouse.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT

I've tried this, but I don't know if my camera was in PTP mode or not, but I never got it to work. :( I'd like to though.

Evanrude

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Washington State
I've tried this, but I don't know if my camera was in PTP mode or not, but I never got it to work. :( I'd like to though.

Open the menu on your camera, select COMMUNICATION and click SELECT, turn the dial to select PTP and press SET again.

The camera would now be in PTP mode. :)

Evanrude

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Washington State

Also, did your camera come with a piece of software called the "Eos Utility"?

If so, open it, there is a button that says "Remote Shooting".

And the rest is easy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.