Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grem28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Hey all. Getting really frustrated here and could really use some help. I'm trying to use Garage band basically like my effects box. I can't seem to get it hooked up to an amp or stereo. I'm using AmpKit link to get my guitar into the iPad 2. From there instead of plugging in my headphones to the headphone port of the AmpKit Link I used to methods. I used a line in cable (same cable i use to hook up my mac to my stereo) and that doesn't work. I can't get the guitar to produce any sound. I was able to hit play on the GarageBand and heard the sound out thru the stereo, but not the guitar (i tried with monitor on and off). Then i bought an adapter, 1/4in TRS to 3.5mm TRS to be exact from my guitar store. I used that and used an instrument cable and plugged in to an amp and nothing! i'm at a loss. Getting stressed here, I hope someone out there can give me some direction. Your help is greatly appreciated!!! thanks again.

damien

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I've got the iRig, which I think works the same way.

On the Ampkit, do you have One Male 1/8" that you plug into the iOS device's headphone port? And two female connections: a 1/4" for your guitar cable, and a 1/8" for your headphones?

You take the cable I liked to and plug in the 1/8" to the ampkit and the 1/4" in your "in" on the Amp. You need this one because you need to fork the stereo signal to a mono. You just plug in one of the 1/4" jacks to the amp.

grem28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Yeah, they're basically the same thing... but won't one connection just hang there. Won't it make popping sounds if it moves around? Just wondering.

grem28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Also, why won't my line out cable work from the 1/8 female to the stereo. I'm just scared to buy something else that doesn't work.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
No, no popping at all. The hanging cable is essentially dead.

Basically, I think it's because the amp can't accept the stereo signal. The splitter makes the stereo signal a mono signal and the amp likes that. I tried a straight adapter and it didn't work. I googled it and found a video from the makers of iRig saying "do this" which is what I've relayed to you.

I use the same setup to go straight into a power amp with no problems.

That said, I'm a bass player so one sound works for me, but I've found on guitars if you switch between effects a lot it's a big pain in the ass.

grem28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
i hear you. Thanks for your help... just one more question. How long is that cable? Are there longer ones?

Just saw it was 10'. Thanks for everything man!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.