How do I hook up my Imac to my HDMI television?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kickycan, Jul 11, 2012.

1. kickycan macrumors newbie

I have the latest iMac that came out last summer (2011). I want to use my HD television to watch movies played on the iMac. I bought a cable that has the mini-display/thunderbolt connector, which I hooked into the thunderbolt/mini-display port on the computer, and the other end I hooked into the HDMI port on the television.

Nothing. No signal. What do I need to do to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

2. kickycan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but none of that is specifically about iMacs, more specifically the ones that have the new thunderbolt port, used as a mini-display port. I don't know why, but I can't find much relating to how you would do this on the latest iMacs with Thunderbolt. I found something online that said all I had to do with the correct cable was to simply hook it up from the Thunderbolt mini-display port to the HDMI connection on the back of the TV. The cable wasn't more than about ten bucks so I thought I'd give it a shot. I got a black screen and a "no signal" error on the TV when I hooked it up though, and I can't remember where that information I got is now, so...

3. simsaladimbamba

Then what exact adapter did you get, because it does not really matter if you use a MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort or an iMac or Mac mini with those ports?

4. kickycan thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

In the reviews there is a guy who says it worked plug-and-play with a 27" iMac via Thunderbolt. There may be a specific issue with your setup, though I admit in all honestly I can't imagine what it would be. It sounds like you've done everything correctly to this point.

6. Bmaintz macrumors member

My 32" Sony has a HDMI input & works fine with my Gateway PC....
    I do have to SELECT the proper Video channel (I have 6) on the Sony for it to work.. :)