how do I host a website on a private server?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Ride9650, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need a static IP from your ISP, but first, you need to check with them to see if it is allowed. Hosting your own site from a home internet connection is usually outside the acceptable use of your service.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

And considering the hydro, bandwidth cost, maintenance cost, uptime, security risk, etc. I don't know if it's worth it. A good hosting package can be had for as little as $5-10/month.

Depending on what kind of internet service you get at home, your visitors might not appreciate how slow your site could get. I know my home cable internet package is about 10 mbps downstream, but only about 300-400 kbps upstream...

4. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah good to know, I hadn't thought of that.

I was just looking for a cheaper alternative to host a small portfolio site, which last I checked, received very, very few visitors, just a few hits from people I sent my resume to. So at the moment I'm not super concerned about bandwith. It just seems like a bit of a waste to be paying $7//month on something so personal.

thanks guys!

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You could even host a site from your own computer (System Preferences>Sharing>Web Sharing, provided your ISP allows this), and then use something like dyndns to get around any dynamic IP problems. (I haven't used this myself, but it seems to get a mentioned quite a bit around here.)

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Assuming you don't break any policies with your ISP and work out the static/dynamic IP issues...

You said, "I'm not super concerned about bandwith."

You're users would be - visiting any site that loads as if it's on dialup is frustrating, regardless. I simply do not recommend this option, even if you can do it, because in most situations the broadband upstream bandwidth is shared in addition to being limited, as another user noted.

You also don't want to be burdened with power issues, if you reboot your site goes down, reducing available resources on your own computer, your ISP has problems, security issues and so on.

It's best to seek low end webhosting, or if its a simple static page with HTML links for document downloading and images - Google and Yahoo both offer 100% free webhosting with limited space. If you need server side scripting and must have your own domain then read any of the posts in this forum related to webhosting suggestions (search for keyword webhosting) or view the sticky topic I posted in this forum with commonly referred hosts, some very inexpensive.

-jim