Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sepehre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
How do I identify my video card on Mac OSX?

I'm aware that I can see it under System Profiler in X.

I need to find this piece of information through the command prompt though. Are there any log or configuration files that Mac OS keeps the Video Card information?

Thanks,
Sepehr

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
"Run Apple System Profiler from the Terminal":

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020128084130130

...the hint is old, but the comments note that the command has just been renamed. it is now "system_profiler"

Just type that and you're good.

[edit: And I just noticed something positively bizarre on my system; when I run that command in the terminal it works perfectly, but for some reason it reports the title text of "Color LCD" in Japanese. Which I can read, but my system is set with English as the default, the regular GUI app does it normally, and none of the rest of the report is in Japanese. Odd.]

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
easier way

go to the apple>>About this Mac
click on 'more info'

that opens up system profiler

then click on graphics/displays
:)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Whoops, didn't get back quickly enough, but I just noticed if you specifically type "system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType" you'll only get the graphics info, so you don't have to scroll through everything else.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Glad that helped. If you look at the -help info, it explains how to show a list of all the properties you can ask for specifically. Pretty much anything.

gallagb said:
go to the apple>>About this Mac
click on 'more info'

that opens up system profiler

then click on graphics/displays
The poster knows; if you note the initial post specifically says "I need to find this piece of information through the command prompt".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.