How do I import addresses to .Mac address book?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr Skills, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I've set my mum up with a .Mac email-only account. Unfortunately, this type of account does not sync the address book.

I would like to transfer her addresses manually (perhaps once a fortnight) to the online .Mac address book. Does anyone know of a way to import all the contacts data to the online address book (even if it's just names and email addresses, that will be enough).

Thanks.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Is she using the webmail interface and not the mail.app?

3. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

She'll mainly be using Mail, but I want to make sure that her addresses are available when she's away. If there's some reasonably easy way of transferring the addresses, I can just pop over to her house and transfer them when she's going on holiday or something.

Even if there was an easy way of exporting them so they came up in a list which I could email to her, that would be OK.

4. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Well, I managed to work out how to do it myself :)

I'll post it here in case it's ever of any use to someone...

1) Go into Address Book and make a group called "Everyone"
    2) Select all your contacts and put in them into the "Everyone" group
    3) Start a new email in Mail.App and drag the "Everyone" group into it
    4) Send the email to yourself
    5) Log into mac.com on the web and go to your email
    6) Click on the attachment, then "import"

And voila, all your contacts are on the web. You might want to delete all the contacts from the Web address book first, so you don't get duplicates.

This isn't a two-way street (it's not much use if you need to add new contacts to the web address book) but it's just fine if you're going on holiday or something.

Me? I'm going to secretly do it about once a week for my parents, since they would never understand why they have paid for a 'portable' email address but the contacts aren't portable too...