Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etherburn2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
To anyone how do I import my bookmarks from IE which uses Windows XP to my Mac firefox and Safari. I used the import feature from Safari and Firefox but it does not work.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
etherburn2000 said:
To anyone how do I import my bookmarks from IE which uses Windows XP to my Mac firefox and Safari. I used the import feature from Safari and Firefox but it does not work.
The import features of Safari and Firefox on the mac are meant for bookmarks for the Mac version of Internet explorer, not the PC version. Anyway, see if internet explorer can export Bookmarks to HTML. When you have the HTML document which contains the links, do these:

--To use them in Firefox, rename the HTML file to "bookmarks.html" end place it in the following location: "<youruserfolder>/library/Application Support/Firfox/Profiles/<yourprofile>". Note that if you also have other bookmarks, they will have been saved into the existing file "bookmarks.html" which will be in the location I told you to put the new HTML file. In that case, old bookmarks will replaced.
--For Safari, you need to activate debug menu. To enable it, first quit Safari, and then launch [your hard drive --> Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal]. Copy this command to the Terminal (without the quotes): "defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1". Now press return, and then quit the Terminal. Open Safari and you will notice the new debug menu, which contains (among others) the option "Import bookmarks" which will allow you to import bookmarks from your HTML file.

I hope I helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.