How do I import mails from Entourage 08 into Mail 6?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jblist32, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jblist32 macrumors newbie

Hi

Last night I downloaded Mountain Lion OS X

Realised then I can't operate Entourage 08 (or 04...not sure) because PowerPC Applications are no longer supported.

Not much information on the web. Can't work out how to find, let alone move the appropriate Entourage folder onto the desktop in order to make old emails into the .mbox format so I can import emails into Mail.

Not sure if it is this folder: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Entourage First Run

or this database

/Users/XXXXXX/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2004 Identities

Help!

Many thanks

2. jblist32 thread starter macrumors newbie

...ended up just sticking in the Snow Leopard OSX CD, and did a time machine restore to the hour just before changing to Mountain Lion.

When back to 10.6, opened up Entourage, reduced window size, then dragged inbox and other folders onto desktop, therefore making .mbox files.

Got mountain Lion working again, fired up Mail and imported the mailboxes from desktop. Easy peasy...

3. ianrams macrumors newbie

I'm in exactly the same boat but I'm a little confused. When I inserted the Snow Leopard disc I read the readme file and it said if I selected the Restore option I would loose all the data on the disk. Does this mean software and personal files? If so should I back up everything onto an external disc first?

Also did you have to down load Mountain Lion again as I can't find it on my drive though it installed perfectly.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

4. jblist32 thread starter macrumors newbie

here is how I think I did it...

I'm not sure.... I'm fairly computer illiterate and recommend you get more informed advice.

Here's what I remember... I intended to load Snow Leopard from the OSX CD back onto the HD, but it would not allow me to do that since ML was loaded there.

Then I clicked on the restore menu while in the program thingy for Snow Leopard OSX install. I saw a list of recent Timemachine backups. I could see one that occurred just prior to downloading ML so I chose that one and went from there. In the list it includes - from memory - location of timemachine backups, date and Time, then operating system version.

All worked well...moved the Entourage folders onto the desktop.

I then had to download ML again, but since I paid for it 1st time it did not charge me for a second go. that took a while and the rest is history.

Good luck!