How do I import photos in new photos app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 5, 2015.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

hi my mac died but i have a new one now. i was copying photos off to an external hard drive and right now its sitting in the photos package on the xternal. I want to bring it to the internal drive should I copy over in finder or open photos and import? Have about 300GB worth

thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are the photos inside the file Photos Library.photoslibrary on the external? If so, just drag that file over to your users Pictures folder. Then hold the option key while you click Photos to launch it. In the box the pops up, select the Photos Library in your Pictures folder as the library you want to use.

3. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

yes thanks its inside that photos library.photoslibrary the package that has all the pics. thnx again! what about the existing photos library thats there will it just write it over?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Assuming you have not imported anything into that existing library, yes, you can just replace it with the other one.

5. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks and holding the option key is only on the first time opening right?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes correct. Then once you select the library it will remember that for next time, and you don't need to hold option.

7. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

After I upgraded to Yosemite I am unable to open iPhoto or import the photos to "PHOTOS" and I can't rebuild or open iPhoto no matter what I do. I can look at my pictures on my iPad but nowhere else???

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So are all the pictures on the iPad? You could attached the iPad by USB then option click Photos and tell it to create a new library, then import the photos from the iPad into the new Photos library. That would give you a fresh start.