How do I import pics to an external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superspiffy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Everytime I import pictures from my digital cam, they automatically go to iPhoto's default library. I don't want this as I don't have a lot of internal hdd space left in my MBP and I'd like to keep all my photos on my external drive. How do I make it so that the photos will import to the external drive? Thanks

2. 66217 Guest

Use Image Capture (find it with SpotLight). But not sure you can make it import directly to an external hard drive, but you can import to a folder in your desktop and then to the external HD.

3. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I would agree. I dont think it is possible to change iPhoto's default location for imports. I could be wrong but I would just use image capture.

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Hold up, there -- I have my entire iPhoto library on an external, and when I import photos they go there. There are specific instructions on the Apple forums - a Knowledge Base article -- on how to move your file to the external. Then, pointing iPhoto to that file, imports will go directly to that library -- just need to be sure the external is on and mounted when you start iPhoto to import.

Good luck!