Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trailertom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
I lost all my emails in my inbox and sent mail, but luckily i had them backed up as .pst files

Problem is I need to import the pst. files into Thunderbird on my mac. Does anyone know how to do this? If so can you please explain in detail the steps I need to complete an import.

Here is what I have to work with

Mac ibook G4, running osx 10.4.11, and Mozilla Thunderbird version 2.0.0.21

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Is there not an import option on the file menu at the top? I'm sire on the Windows version there is so look for similar.

AnDy

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I lost all my emails in my inbox and sent mail, but luckily i had them backed up as .pst files

Problem is I need to import the pst. files into Thunderbird on my mac. Does anyone know how to do this? If so can you please explain in detail the steps I need to complete an import.

Here is what I have to work with

Mac ibook G4, running osx 10.4.11, and Mozilla Thunderbird version 2.0.0.21
PST is very proprietary - you are not going to find a mac solution that will accept PST - its a closed Microsoft file. I know you can use outlook on a PC and you the Windows version of Thunderbird to copy them over, but I cannot remember how to do that exactly either.

PST files are pretty much Windows and Outlook only formats unfortunately - no matter how you slice it, you are going to need both of those.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Is there not an import option on the file menu at the top? I'm sire on the Windows version there is so look for similar.

AnDy

That option is not there on the Mac, just Windows (it doesn't even open PST files directly, it just import whatever is in Outlooks main mailbox).

evlway

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Import PST files

Use a computer with Outlook installed -- copy the pst to the computer -- open Outlook - use File > Data File Management > add the pst -- drag the email from the pst to the Inbox -- export the Inbox -- or import the Inbox to Thunderbird

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Use Outlook2Mac from LittleMachines. $10, if I remember right. I used it, and it worked fine. Only issue that I faced was that it discarded the email addresses from all my emails that were sent and received through Exchange. So if the email was from "John Jacob" <johnjacob@xyz.com>, after conversion to MBOX format and import into Thunderbird it would show up as from "John Jacob".

If you want a free solution, and you have a Windows machine (or have boot camp on your Mac), you could try the steps in this article. Or you could try this plugin. I haven't tried either of these methods.

trailertom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Thanks everyone for the info

here is some additional info for anyone who may have had teh same issue as me....

again, I am using a mac with mac operating system. No PC, No Windows, No Vista for me. :)

In Thunderbird....

Under Tools, then Import, Thunderbird gives me a screen where I have to:
"Select the type of material to import:
Address Books
Mail
Settings

I select mail. When I hit the next button Thunderbird gives me a screen where I have to:
"Please Select the program from which you would like to import:"
Communicator 4.x
Eudora

If I select the "Communicator 4.x" option Thunderbird just sits there doing nothing for eternity. If I select the "Eudora" option Thunderbird gives me a screen where I have to "Select mail directory" where i can search for .pst files. The .pst files are de-highlighted and I cannot select them to import.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.