How do I increase longevity of my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac.wubaby, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mac.wubaby macrumors newbie

hey guys,

long time reader but first time posting.

Bought my first mac in the middle of June and am still getting used to it. I got the 2.53 GHz 13" with all standard hardware.

I'm just wondering if there are any general tips (hardware and software) people could give me to increase the lifespan of my laptop? I'm hoping to get 5 years out of this baby.

2. 1ne macrumors regular

wow... that is such a broad questions. What are you looking for in specific?

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

My advice, be good to the laptop. Consider getting the Moshi Clearguard for the keyboard, and the Moshi Palmguard for the palm area and trackpad. They will keep finger oils off of the frequently used parts and keep it looking nice. Its also easy to clean. I use both on my Macbook Air, and the palmguard on my Pro. I love them.

Other than that, keep updated, delete stuff you don't use, don't be afraid to do an Archive and Reinstall of OS X if things get screwed up, and enjoy the system.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Lock it in a fireproof box. It'll last you a lot more than 5 years that way.

5. mac.wubaby thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm wondering is there recommended software to keep my laptop clutter free? Also, I noticed my computer usually gets up to 90 deg C when I'm watching a streamed video for over an hour. Is that bad for the circuits or anything?

thanks for the useful info miles.

where's Archive? what is it?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

AppleCare. That and not dropping it. ;)
    Don't bother with cases or covers. Just use a laptop bag to transport it and don't abuse it and it will last you a long time.

If your computer stays at 90 degrees C, there is definitely a problem with it. Are you using iStat to get the temperature?

7. mac.wubaby thread starter macrumors newbie

yea I'm getting my readings from iStat widget. It only stays up there when I'm watching a video streaming though. Idle it stays around 50 deg C

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Is it on a desk? On a bed?

9. mac.wubaby thread starter macrumors newbie

on my desk

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Ideal temperatures are 25-40 degrees C when idle and up to 70-80 (60 is ideal) when under a full load. Any higher and your computer is running too hot (and could boil water).

A hot computer risks damaging internal components, especially the hard drive, which is very easily damaged in high heat.

12. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

13. mac.wubaby thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea why its running so hot? I've only had it for a month and I've installed a few programs...handbrake, adium, skype and senuti.

Adium separates my two accounts gmail and aim in different windows and doesn't even work all the time. I'm going to uninstall it soon. Disappointed b/c my ichat is weird. My buddy and send an invite to video chat with me but i can't send one to him.

Oh btw, how do you uninstall programs?

14. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Drag the app to the trash.