how do I increase my downloading speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NoirChat~, Feb 18, 2010.

1. NoirChat~ macrumors newbie

i gotta say, i love my mac and all, but it has such a poor download rate- mostly with torrents, though. It will NOT go above 100 kB/s, and i can't figure out how to fix it. i set the download speed to around 80, and it still doesn't work. i've been downloading a game( it's around 1.2GB), and i've been downloading it for two or three hours-it's only at 29%. what the heck?:confused:

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

3. NoirChat~ thread starter macrumors newbie

verizon DSL. i just can't seem to find an answer to why it's like this... but maybe it's just me. meh.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I bet you can install it from the disc a lot faster.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Likely your ISP throttles torrents to the speed you see so that you don't hog the bandwidth from others who share the cable.

You can test the Mac. Set up another computer as a server on your local network then look at transfer speed over a wired Ethernet cable. This should run very fast and will prove that the problem s not with your Mac.

6. NoirChat~ thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah....can't do that. only one i have.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. NoirChat~ thread starter macrumors newbie

......buying the game it is. it only went up 5% anyway...what a p.o.s.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Sounds like the DSL is your problem, DSL sucks. It's 2010, DSL is like 1999.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

DSL works fine for me in Canada... shocking eh? :eek:

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

go to www.speedtest.net and run the test to see how fast you can download. It will give you your speed plus the average speed of the isp you are using. There are different speed packages to dsl. The faster packages cost more. Find out the top download speed of the dsl you are paying from your dsl company by calling them and asking.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think my ISP is throttling my bandwidth for torrent as well. My first question, if I subscribe to the HBO (or insert premium channel here) can I legally download their content via torrents? If not, why?
    2nd question, on the Mac is there anyway I can stop the ISP from throttling my bandwidth?
    edit: My advertised download speed is 10mbps but speed test says I get around 8. With torrents no matter what the seeds are, I cannot download faster than 150kbps and that makes my internet slow and gives me "Cannot connect to server" errors. I have charter.

13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Well considering Canada has like 4 people living there, Im sure theres plenty of bandwidth on your DSL line.....I love Canada, favorite city in he World is Toronto, but when your national pop is the size of some small US cities its hard comparing the two.....

BTW, I'm in Canada for a Sox Jays game this summer, I'll buy ya a beer if I ever meet ya!:D

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

1) No, it's still illegal because the process of getting the show online is illegal reproduction. By subscribing to HBO you're not purchasing the rights to the show, merely licensing the ability to view it. HBO is launching "HBO Go" for subscribers if your provider (Comcast or Verizon only at the moment it seems)
    2) No, throttling is performed by the ISP on their side of the servers, not on your computer.

15. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

small US cities have 38 million people? what the **** this must be why i failed geography

16. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You're complaining because your free downloads are taking too long? :rolleyes:

Count yourself lucky. It took me 5 days (yes, five days) to download a game of around 4GB at non-stop downloading. My average is around 15kb/s. Your download speed is fine, just be patient and maybe you can enjoy the game once it downloads. Just maybe.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I know that PC people use something called "Outgoing Encryption". Is there something like that for the Mac?

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

and sure, but I'd rather go and watch a Yankees/Jays game since those are way better. Went to one last season and it was :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: x100

19. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

There might be only 4 people living in Canada but that 401 north of Toronto is something else! Six lanes in each direction plus three feeder lanes in each direction!

The QEW heading into Toronto from the West is murder before a Toronto BlueJay game.

Don't make this mistake. When heading over the bridge to Buffalo don't take the Peace Bridge if it is Sunday and The Buffalo Bills have a home game. Take the Lewiston one.

Wife's parents have a place in Missassauga (did I spell that right?) so I'm up there at least 2 times a year.

20. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada

Population: 34,052,000 ;)

This is very nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrA4V6YF6SA

21. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

HEY everyone... I really don't want to make a new thread and what not...
    So why not ask here, since i guess it's a similar topic.

My download speed according to Speedtest.net

Download:
    15.52 Mb/s
    Upload:
    16.88 Mb/s

Ping 24ms
    Distance 50 Mi.

I just want to know if that's a good internet speed?

Also it says

Download Rate

MP3 (5MB) is 3 Secs
    Video Clip (35MB) 9 Secs
    Movie (800MB) 7 Min

Do i have a fast internet? (I think it's fast, but is it fast fast?)

I'm on Verizon FiOS

22. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The speed being "good" is a variable term. What Fios plan are you on? Are you getting at least the advertised speeds? If not, and you're on wireless, try plugging in and see if you get a bump...if so, your wireless router is a bottleneck.

As an absolute, yes, you're connection is quite fast. For reference, I'm on Comcast and I usually clock ~16Mbps down/5Mbps up on the plan that's rated 15/3 (down/up speeds)

23. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Well apparently they recently made the change last week to 35/35 (the fastest plan) which i don't see a speed bump. maybe because i'm using wireless.
    I don't know maybe we need a new router?
    I haven't actually tried it plugged in... but

Your connection stats looks like it's faster than mine with your download...

I'll have to check again...

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I miss FiOS :(

But looks like my downloads up have upgraded again. And Comcast Business does not PowerBoost unfortunately.

[​IMG]