How do I install an SSD into my MBP 13" 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Chiuy, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

Chiuy macrumors 6502

I got the MBP 2011 i5 baseline 13"
    My SSD will be arriving tomorrow afternoon and would like to know how to install it. I already know how to put it in, you just take out the screws in the back just like the rams and take out the old HDD and replace it with the SSD. Correct?

(I ordered the Agility 3 120GB OCZ)

How do I install the OSx on there? That's the biggest question.
    I hear people have to make a new disk?
    How do I do that? Is there instructions?
    I currently have Lion OSx right, my MBP is only 2 months old.
    I want the SSD to be clear of everything and no past memory since I want to start out fresh and use the memory more wisely.

Thank you!

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

3. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'll probably know how to do that, but how do you setup the OSx? I don't assume it'll magically appear on the SSD? And I want it completely new, clear of everything.

4. Pyre1582 macrumors newbie

I just installed a new HD on my Macbook Pro 15inch today, lol.

1. Have a Time Machine Back Up of your current system before you unscrew and replace the HD.

2. Go and replace the HD. Isn't difficult, a lot of videos around. Just be sure to remove the mounting brackets on the old HD and the tab for the new HD.

3. Load up the system with the OSX install disk that came with your Macbook Pro.

4. Wait a bit, and you should see the OS installation screen. Ignore that, and go to the top bar to Utilities, and then select "Disk Utility"

5. Wait for the Disk Utility to load everything, and you should see your new HD listed unformatted. Click on it, then select the "Erase" tab, then have the settings: "Format: Mac OS Extended Journaled" and "Name: Macintosh HD". Then hit erase. It'll format the new HD.

6. Go to the top bar to select utilities again, and this time select restore from Time Machine.

7. The rest should be self explainatory.

I haven't had any problems with the above at all.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Oh prior to taking out your original hard drive you want to download the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Get a USB flash drive with at least 4GB of free space and follow the instructions (they're pretty straightforward) so that you can use it to create a boot disk for Lion

I just did this two days ago. Worked like a charm.

Edit: You didn't say which version of OS X you have, I just assumed Lion.

If it's Snow Leopard, then just pop in the boot disc that came with your system

6. itegypt, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

No need to trim SSD or anything before doing the restore?

7. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I have the Lion OSx.

8. Chiuy, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I just installed that lion recovery disk onto my external hard drive and i out in my ssd by replacing the old hdd
    I put my external on and let it run. When it was time for Lion install, it says HD is locked.
    How do I unlock it?

Oops. Edit: what I want is a completely new fresh install of lion with no previous history.