how do i install firmware 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by awesomator, Jul 10, 2008.

1. awesomator macrumors regular

I downloaded firmware 2.0, I held option while i clicked the update iphone button to get to the firmware but i cant open it because it is a folder it just goes to whats in the firmware becasue it is a folder. How do i install and yes i no this is very noobish.

2. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Just my 2 cents, If you can not make it past step 1 I would not upgrade outside of the normal process.

I would wait...

3. greenyboy411 macrumors newbie

you must have extracted the file by accident. same thing happened to me at first. try using firefox or something and keep it as the .ipsw file, then go into itunes, hold the option key and click update, then select the file. enjoy 2.0!

4. awesomator thread starter macrumors regular

5. View macrumors regular

Easiest way to do it... Use Firefox and not Safari to download the file. Then it will be .ipsw and not a folder ;)

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

First go into Safari Prefs and uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" under the General Tab.

Next Download.

Next right click downloaded folder and go to "get info" - Or - Just rename the folder by deleting the ".zip" from the name. So that it's an .ispw.

Next go in iTunes. You want to click Restore while holding the "option/alt" key.
    And click the folder you downloaded and changed the name.

That should do it! That's all I did.

7. rayward macrumors 65816

Did all this (after updating iTunes to 7.7) and I get a message that "An unknown error occurred (1403)".

Anyone got any ideas? Or am I stuck waiting for the official update to be pushed through (presumably involving another seemingly endless download of the software).

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

++

If you don't know what you're doing, it would be better to wait.

9. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

This is what i did :

had a 1.1.4 16gb iphone that i used ziphone on, used the unlock all feature in ziphone months back, i have a o2 contract but NOT iphone one and basically i ran the download installed 2.0 fine, went through the activation in itunes etc, by logging in using my email/password from itunes account and it come up 'activated iphone'. Then restored all contacts/music etc from back up file.

Working like a charm, as i say i am on a o2 contract but not iphone so so far so good .......