How do I install Mac OS X Lion without Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by br.avery, Jun 26, 2011.

1. br.avery macrumors regular

I currently have Mac OS X 10.5.8 running right now and never installed Snow Leopard, if I want to be ready for the Lion release, I'm going to have to DL it from the Mac App Store which requires Snow Leopard..? Do I have to pay to install Snow Leopard just to have to pay again to install Lion?

I am so confused, please help if you can. I know I sound super ignorant..

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Based on the current information from Apple, you are right.

They are saying Lion will only be available from the Mac App Store which is only available in Snow Leopard.

So it looks like you will need to upgrade to Snow Leopard then upgrade to Lion.

3. br.avery thread starter macrumors regular

What a huge inconvenience.. So I have to get off my lazy ass, go to a physical Apple store and buy Snow Leopard that won't even be of any use? Do the stores still sell Snow Leopard?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes and I think they will need to keep it on sale for people in your situation.
    I would think we soon will hear what Apple's official line on the matter is on the run up to the Lion release date.

5. br.avery thread starter macrumors regular

6. Fastlove macrumors newbie

I seriously doubt that You would have to go through so much inconvenience.

Your situation , though not unique, is very interesting.

What I can think of ( I m a newbie to MacBook ) :

You can get the download from the app market from any snow leopard Mac ...burn it to a DVD ...I guess a .dmg file ? Then install it to your Mac from the DVD

I am a novice but think there must be the above or some better option out there..

All the best !

7. biodigitaljazz macrumors member

It'll be of use; you'll use it go access the Mac App Store. :D

At least you don't have to shell out $100+ for it. I was at the store today, Snow Leopard's still $29.99, so... yeah.

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

You could order it and have someone else bring it you...win/win you get SL and you can continue to sit on your lazy ass! :)

9. SamNeeds macrumors regular

It's a bit of a questionable model they are taking on - i.e. upgrade only - but I suppose the price reflects that...

Personally, I think there will always be a place for physical media - especially the kind that allows you to do a fresh install straight out of the box.

10. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Why didn't you upgrade to Snow Leopard? There was more excitement from the Mac Community about Snow Leopard than the iOS'ing of Lion.

I'd say upgrade to Snow Leopard and decide if you need Lion. You might not. I installed DP4 on a partition and have been running it and playing around with it. I'll download it for $29 but I wouldn't do the double-upgrade you are talking about just to get to Lion. For me, the features aren't there.

11. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I'm in the exact same position.

unibody MacBook with 10.5.8
    BlackBook with 10.5.8
    MacBookAir with 10.6.8

I didn't upgrade the two MacBooks because I have scientific software that I didn't want to upgrade I wasn't sure if they'd be compatible with 10.6. However, now that the projects are over (I never upgrade mid-project), I'll probably upgrade all machines to 10.7

I assume that I can download 10.7 from the AppStore on the MBA. Then transfer .dmg to the other machines (or download three copies with three different I tunes accounts.)

However, I doubt that the .dmg will allow direct 10.5-->10.7 but we'll see.

Anyone have any idea about whether I can still receive security updates for 10.5 about 10.7 is released, in the event that I choose not to upgrade?

Thanks!

12. DomMG macrumors newbie

I suspect you would still receive some, unless Apple decide to suddenly drop support for all their PowerPC models that can't run 10.6. Although the operating system (10.5) is less than 4 years old they might drop it soon as PowerPC macs are over 5 years old.