How do i Install my new SSD operating system?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeepstylexx, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jeepstylexx macrumors member

Just purchased a new macbook pro, 13inch a few weeks ago. I ordered a ram upgrade and a samsung 470 ssd. I know how to physically install them; however, how to i install my lion os software on the ssd. I am using an external hd from my old pc laptop, currently as my time machine backup. I was thinking I would just do a time machine backup.... but then realized I can't use time machine when there is no operating system on the new ssd.

Any help is appreciated

----------

Also, i guess an important thing to note is that my macbook did not come with an install disk. It came preloaded with lion.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd grab a 2.5" external enclosure and use a program called Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the current hard drive onto the SSD.

3. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

I have an external enclosure that i currently use for my time machine backup so i can use that. Does the app store or best buy, etc sell Carbon Copy Cloner?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, as long as the external enclosure is 2.5" you should be fine there. And you can find Carbon Copy Cloner from here. :)

5. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

There is no need to format the new SSD before CCC from the internal one first? Thx

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Carbon Copy Cloner is donation ware..and you should donate it's and excellent program.

http://www.bombich.com/

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to format the blank SSD before the clone. See here.

8. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i formatted the drive but was still unable to get the system transferred my system is at 56gb but for some reason the time machine backup shows 156gb so there is not enough hard space on the new 128gb drive. : (

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You don't clone your Time Machine drive, you clone the internal hard drive.

jW