how do i install os on macbook 2008-2009

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lion114, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Lion114 macrumors newbie

hey

i have a 2009 Macbook color black

i guess the hard disk died on him so i replaced the hard drive with new HDD from my macbook pro 2012 .

I'm booting up the computer and nothing shows up,i guess there is no iOS on it.

how can i install OS on this macbook on this new hard drive?

i tried to use my boot up usb el capitan from my mbk 2015 but i guess he didn't work its all different there.

2. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

Try holding CMD+R while restarting. Than you can select different options.
    If u have a time machine backup, choose that.

I would highly recommend to put in a SSD instead of HDD to speed up this old guy

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to the system discs that came with the computer and from there you can boot up from those system discs by pressing the C button as it boots up

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

You could:
    - buy a "Snow Leopard" install DVD
    - buy a USB flash drive from eBay with Snow Leopard pre-installed.

You said that you've installed a REPLACEMENT HDD with a copy of the OS on it, and the computer still won't boot?

It -might- just be that the OS on the drive isn't the right one.
    Or... it might be an indication of some other problem...

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

What happens when you boot into recovery mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Can you run the Disk Utility program from recovery mode? Check your new HDD. If it fails the test, your MBP may not be recognizing it properly (or it could actually be defective).

In any case, if you're near an Apple Store, you may be able to have them diagnose your problem for free, which would probably involve reinstalling the OS.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I don't see a black 2009 Macbook at Everymac.com.

The 2008 Black MB came with Leopard so a purchase of Snow Leopard was required to upgrade the system via the normal route. It will run up to Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) so if you can get your hands on a Lion USB installer you can skip the Snow Leopard step.

7. Lion114 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have any backup as I said its a hdd from a different account which I'm sure his clean.
    yeah I know ssd is must the things is its an old computer I didn't touch him for like 5-4 years I just want to see if he actually works

8. gooser macrumors 6502a

acquire a 10.6 dvd and use that to install an operating system.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The last black macbook until the 2015 space grey, was the Early 2008 MacBook
    If that is what you have, then you will be limited to OS X 10.7.5
    The last post said to find a 10.6 DVD. That should work.
    The 2008 MacBook is too old to boot with El Capitan.

10. Lion114 thread starter macrumors newbie

i see. can i just make a bootable USB for older OS? or i have to get a disk
    there is option to check which one i have before i do all this installation ?

11. laudern macrumors 6502a

I have a 2009 unibody Macbook and I make a bootable usb all the time whenever I need to format.

12. Lion114 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I do it?
    how do I get this old OS
    I have 2008 will YOSMITIE WORK ON IT?

13. laudern, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

laudern macrumors 6502a

You see, I already had my Macbook up and running before I reinstalled it with a new OS via usb. I was able to download the new OS from the app store and create a bootable usb.

You are in a different situation. You don't have a working OS to be able to download a new OS from the app store.

If you don't have access to the app store you have 2 options as far as I can see.

1. Go on ebay and buy the osx lion usb stick. This version of osx was sold by Apple on usb (no dvd) and I think is the last OS they sold on usb. It doesn't matter though, whatever the last OS they released via usb, buy it, and then you can access the app store and get the os you want.

2. Get a torrent of osx, turn it into a bootable usb. Install it, get the app store osx, turn that into a bootable usb, format and install.

The only problem you might have is, from what I remember, once a new osx has been released, Apple remove the previous osx if you have not previously downloaded that specific osx.

See how you go but.

EDIT. I just looked on ebay and people sell usb bootable osx drives for most versions of osx. So take your pick.

Edit 2. Have a look to see if your machine supports Yosemite

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Yosemite