How do I install OSX on a clean / reformatted hard disk ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaravelNick, Nov 1, 2013.

1. LaravelNick macrumors member

Apologies if this is a really dumb question, but after using Windows PCs for nearly 20 years, I'm looking to buy my first Mac - probably one of the new MacBook Pros.

Could someone please explain how I would install OSX Mavericks on a Mac (with no CD / DVD drive), in the event that I needed to replace the hard disk or even if I reformatted the hard disk as I tend to do on a yearly basis with my Windows PCs ?

I understand that OSX Mavericks is free, but when I look at the Mac App Store, it says 'To download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store, you need a Mac with OS X 10.6.6 or later.' Obviously if the machine has just had a new hard disk or if the hard disk has been reformatted, it won't have any version of OSX installed.

I'm sure it's just a different way of managing things, but I've been so used to Windows PCs that have a DVD drive and a copy of the O/S on a disk (MSDN) that allows me to reinstall everything very easily onto a clean hard disk.

Does a new Macbook Pro come with a copy of OSX Mavericks in the box ? I understand that I can plug in an external DVD reader.

Apologies again if this is a dumb question, but I'm really looking forward to making the leap from Windows to Macs.

Thanks in advance.

2. ABC5S, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You can download Mavericks from App Store when you get your system, and use the below simple program to make a Bootable USB thumb drive, and keep it handy just in case. Real simple to do...

http://liondiskmaker.com/?p=246 < This is the newest version 3.0.1 to use

http://liondiskmaker.com/?page_id=27

You should Prepare your new thumb drive first however.

3. LaravelNick thread starter macrumors member

Aha,

Thanks ABC5S and M5RahuL for two excellent replies.

Much appreciated. :)