How Do I Install System Updates on Shutdown?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by haravikk, Sep 21, 2013.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

Okay, so under OS X Lion if a system update was available that required a restart, I could instead just choose "Not Now" and the update would install when I shut my computer down.

However, with this stupid transition to the Mac App Store for OS updates I can't seem to do this anymore, as the Mac App Store doesn't seem to want to download updates ahead of time (so they're not there for installation when I shut-down).

Is there a way to do this under Mountain Lion? I usually shut my computer down every night anyway so I don't want to have to restart specially only to then immediately shut-down. Even more annoying since I have FileVault 2 enabled, and since most devices simply don't work on the FileVault login screen I can't just shut-down from there, and powering off means you get to enjoy the slow recovery partition startup next time you switch the computer on. So yeah, a combination of minor issues makes this into a huge grievance any time I need to restart to install an update.

I don't understand why Apple don't just give us a "Shut Down" button alongside the "Restart" one; it would be so much simpler, as even the old method of choosing shut down normally and just hoping the updates will install was hardly intuitive.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

For system updates, installers that don't require a restart will install when they have finished downloading.
    Installers that require a restart can be installed at shutdown. There is usually a dialog that says "Not Now" | "Download & Restart" or similar.

If you press "Not Now", then when you Shutdown, you will be prompted to install the updates.

3. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

This is how it worked under Lion, but I can't seem to get it to do this at all via the Mac App Store; when I click "Not Now", nothing happens, the updates don't seem to download and when I shut-down (hours later) no updates are performed. This is the second system update requiring a restart that I've done and in both cases I had to choose restart in order to get it to work at all.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Something seems to be awry. Try a brand new admin account, and see if that makes a difference.

5. jovada macrumors member

I'm having the same problem with the 10.9.1 update of Mavericks. I don't want to reboot to install the update.