How do I install the Bootcamp drivers after I've already installed Windows?

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Ok, I've just spent the last 5 hours of my life pulling my hair out just getting Windows to install on my brand new rMBP. All the USB drives I tried kept giving me the "no bootable device" error. Finally I plugged in an external DVD drive and used a Windows 7 DVD and it installed just fine. Now my problem is the Bootcamp drivers are not installed on Windows, and there are no USB drivers so Windows won't even detect my usb drive that has the drivers on it. I can't copy the drivers to the windows partition from within OSX because it's NTFS.

So what do I do now? How do I get the drivers onto Windows without any USB drivers already installed? I'm really confused here.

Quackers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Plug in the drive with your Bootcamp drivers on it and navigate to the Bootcamp folder. Click on the setup.exe file.
There should also be a $WinPEDriver$ folder as well. This might include a couple of drivers too which may need to be installed via the same method as above.
Check in device manager whether that's the case after running the Bootcamp setup.exe

Reactions: Realmadridcr7

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Plug in the drive with your Bootcamp drivers on it and navigate to the Bootcamp folder. Click on the setup.exe file.
There should also be a $WinPEDriver$ folder as well. This might include a couple of drivers too which may need to be installed via the same method as above.
Check in device manager whether that's the case after running the Bootcamp setup.exe
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. Windows installed but it did not install any USB drivers, network drivers or anything else. Just keyboard and mouse work. So when I plug in my USB drive with the bootcamp drivers, Windows doesn't even detect it. Since there are no network drivers I can't just download them and since OSX can't write to NTFS, I can't just copy the drivers to the Windows partition from within OSX. So basically I have Windows installed without any drivers at all and it's useless.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I ended up just redoing the Bootcamp install with a new USB drive and it actually booted from it this time and installed the drivers automatically. Not sure what happened the first time.

Realmadridcr7

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
I ended up just redoing the Bootcamp install with a new USB drive and it actually booted from it this time and installed the drivers automatically. Not sure what happened the first time.
Thank you

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. Windows installed but it did not install any USB drivers, network drivers or anything else. Just keyboard and mouse work. So when I plug in my USB drive with the bootcamp drivers, Windows doesn't even detect it. Since there are no network drivers I can't just download them and since OSX can't write to NTFS, I can't just copy the drivers to the Windows partition from within OSX. So basically I have Windows installed without any drivers at all and it's useless.
Thank you

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.