How do I install the Bootcamp drivers after I've already installed Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SVTmaniac, Nov 3, 2013.

1. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Ok, I've just spent the last 5 hours of my life pulling my hair out just getting Windows to install on my brand new rMBP. All the USB drives I tried kept giving me the "no bootable device" error. Finally I plugged in an external DVD drive and used a Windows 7 DVD and it installed just fine. Now my problem is the Bootcamp drivers are not installed on Windows, and there are no USB drivers so Windows won't even detect my usb drive that has the drivers on it. I can't copy the drivers to the windows partition from within OSX because it's NTFS.

So what do I do now? How do I get the drivers onto Windows without any USB drivers already installed? I'm really confused here.

2. warplane95 macrumors regular

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Plug in the drive with your Bootcamp drivers on it and navigate to the Bootcamp folder. Click on the setup.exe file.
    There should also be a $WinPEDriver$ folder as well. This might include a couple of drivers too which may need to be installed via the same method as above.
    Check in device manager whether that's the case after running the Bootcamp setup.exe

4. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. Windows installed but it did not install any USB drivers, network drivers or anything else. Just keyboard and mouse work. So when I plug in my USB drive with the bootcamp drivers, Windows doesn't even detect it. Since there are no network drivers I can't just download them and since OSX can't write to NTFS, I can't just copy the drivers to the Windows partition from within OSX. So basically I have Windows installed without any drivers at all and it's useless.

5. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up just redoing the Bootcamp install with a new USB drive and it actually booted from it this time and installed the drivers automatically. Not sure what happened the first time.

6. Realmadridcr7, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015

Realmadridcr7 macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

7. komal-khan macrumors newbie