How do I install the iPod touch 1.1.2 update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BCMH, Nov 11, 2007.

1. BCMH macrumors newbie

I am aware of the recent iPod touch software update and that it has been released but somehow my iTunes does not show it and i dont know how to install the update from the file that i have already downloaded from the main page of Mac Rumors. Someone please teach me how. Thanks.

2. Rocksta macrumors newbie

There are various thread on this very page explaining how to do it.

With Touch connected to computer, hold the shift key down while clicking on the check for updates tab. Then just select the update from wherever you downloaded it to.

3. JPP macrumors member

Hi

I wouldn't touch this update with a bargepole personally - there's no way of knowig if it's legit. No anouncement from apple and no update via itunes and I've done a huge google search and can find no official update just lots of blogs carrying it.

I would wait until any updates are available via itunes. Seems to me most people have issues with their ipods/iphones/macs and so on when they start downloading stuff...

Just my honest opinion.

Best

J

4. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Some countries still haven't got this update ,depend on which country you live in. I live in China, and we will see if I got it tomorrow(When my battery give ghost)

5. psendeavor macrumors newbie

If it's not, then it's extremely well made. Updated without a single hiccup, and the iCal editing is there (and works both ways too, btw).

6. hecks macrumors regular

Don't be silly, the firmware links come from Apple's own site:

http://phobos.apple.com/version

Check it yourself.

7. JPP macrumors member

Hey

Am I missing a trick but how is a link to "phobos" meant to make the update legit?

Where's the link to the official apple site?

Soon as I have that I'll update my pod. If anyone can post the link then I'd be genuinely pleased

J

8. hecks macrumors regular

That *is* the official Apple site against which version checks are made. You can find the links to the firmwares in the xml doc that it takes you to - just as everyone else has done.

Anyway, there's no point carrying on this discussion. Just wait for the iTunes update.

9. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

OMG you are a retard! You don't even know how a url works!!!lol you are so dumb i am actually laughing, not that pretend "lol" but actual lol. Do you know what an iPod is?

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

The link starts with:

http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/

apple.com is just an extension of edgesuite.net. This is NOT from Apple's website.

11. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

A search of 'edgesuite' on Google shows that its a service by akamai.

http://www.akamai.com/en/html/services/edgesuite.html

Makes sense to mirror it instead of having everyone d/l directly from Apple's servers.

I installed it, others have, and it works. If it wasn't legit, I'm sure the hackers would have figured it out by now.

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Umm... Yes it is. The link is http://phobos.apple.com/version

You realize how hard it would be the make that URL point anywhere that wasn't legitimate? It'd be front page news!

edgesuite.net is akamai, which btw. it took 30 seconds to find out.

13. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

wow...retarded people scare me...this is clearly a legit site!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. plhagen macrumors newbie

Installing 1.1.2

Before installing 1.1.2 you must first update iTunes to ver. 7.5

First connect the iPod Touch to the computer; then:

I installed 1.1.2 twice, once by downloading the upgrade, then holding down the Shift key while clicking the button in iTunes to 'Check for Update'; this causes the windows explorer directory list popup to appear; then just navigate to the directory where you saved the 1.1.2 download; select the download file then OK.

The other way I installed the 1.1.2 was to open iTunes, go to the iPod screens, then click Restore. This caused iTunes to go to Apple, get the latest version 1.1.2 update and automatically install it.

i hope this helps

15. BCMH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. By the way, I live in Singapore.. So has anyone in Singapore got it yet?? I already downladed iTunes 7.5 so I am going to try it soon..

16. BCMH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all, especially plhagen.. I have successfully installed the update onto my iPod touch and I can now add events into my calendar just as promised. I just wished there was an update that enabled wallpapers on the otherwise sterile and boring black home screen background.

17. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I tried the second way first (with the restore and then update through apple), however it still put me on 1.1.1.

I then tried the first way you described and it updated fine. My Touch now has 1.1.2. The calendar add function is awesome (though it definitely should have been there originally). It also makes sense to have the charge icon on Itunes.

18. dellavoce macrumors regular

Before I go updating to 1.1.2, I need to know one important fact: is it going to wipe out the calendar events that I have in my touch? I don't have a program on my computer to sync them with, so I need to know if I'm in danger of losing them

19. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

For the record, 1.1.2. is now available through iTunes.

20. theFATangel macrumors newbie

Update issues

Greetings All,

For those (like me) who were unable to download the update through iTunes successfully, but were able to use the direct download link, here is what worked for me.

Using Shift and clicking Check for Update button did not work for me. iTunes had already determined it could download the update and would not give me a dialog to navigate the file system.

My button already said Update so I tried option-clicking and low and behold I was able to update from the file I downloaded directly (not using iTunes). Hope this helps others in my situation.

theFATangel

21. fishcube macrumors 6502

Where did you download the install file? for it to show up that itunes would show "update button" ?

I'm downloading install file now from here:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/09/ipod-touch-firmware-1-1-2-released-add-calendar-events/

since when I try through itunes it keeps stopping and restarting the download (dialup takes hours).