How do I install the new Mac OS X on my notebook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by new mac rhythm, Feb 18, 2013.

1. new mac rhythm macrumors newbie

As a warning I am a new Mac user and need help!! I am currently abroad and my iPod Touch 4th gen was stolen. I can't see my photo stream on iCloud.com which I know was turned on and synced before the theft. This was a week ago. I am using my girlfriends Mac which has OS X 10.5.8, so I can't find iCloud on her computer to sync with my Apple ID to retrieve the photos from my camera roll. I really want to recover my photos (hundreds of travel photos) and I don't have $ to buy a new iPod until I return to the states. How do I update her Mac to include iCloud in the System Preferences? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I feel lost out here in "no-mac-land". :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iCloud requires Lion or later. It will not run on Leopard.

iCloud: System requirements

3. new mac rhythm thread starter macrumors newbie

So is it so simple that all I have to do is buy Lion?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, first you need to buy Snow Leopard so you can access the Mac App Store, where you can then buy Lion.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You'll have to buy a disc for Snow Leopard first.

6. new mac rhythm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! One more question... Being abroad, will compatibility be an issue? Or can I just walk in to any mac store and purchase the Snow Leopard disk?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It may not be available in your local store. Call before you visit a store, or buy it online and have it shipped.