How do I install Ubuntu 9.10 on a B&W G3 PowerMac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glossywhite, Nov 9, 2009.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Hi all. I have a G3 B&W PowerMac, and I've just downloaded & burned the PowerPC version of the Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" liveCD... it will boot my G3, but Ubuntu cannot "see" the internal HDD!.

I even took the step of booting it from the Tiger DVD, and partitioning it as one contiguous MBR, FAT32 volume, but the HDD is still undetectable to Ubuntu!.

Help!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend posting over at ubuntu forums as they're be more apt to help you. While there are a number of people who use ubuntu here, I'd say few would be using it on a PPC platform.

I'd also recommend trying 9.04, given the issues that seem to be cropping up with 9.10.

3. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I have posted there. Issues? what issues? :confused:

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lots of threads of stuff that worked in 9.04 that don't work now. Issues with graphic drivers, instability. I thought I saw some threads about unable to install it.

I think if you go to the other forums, like general help, install and the like you'll see more then a fair share of problems with 9.10.

I've used 9.04 and like that version, but I'm running on fedora 11 right now and I like that distro a lot better.

5. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

That's rather odd - everyone seems to be raving about just *how* good 9.10 is - maybe that is just your experience?. Haven't seen any issues - can you link me to where you saw this info?.

Thanks.