How do I install Ubuntu on a external drive please?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Focuslined, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Focuslined macrumors newbie

Dear Mac Community,

I am making this thread for help regarding how to Install Ubuntu OS on a external SSD drive.

From my understanding, apple may be limit users to do this because apple are shellfish and nuters.
    But oh boy, I guess in this society we need nutters to run everything, oh well that's just great.

anyway, moving right along here, down to serious business:
    How may I install Ubuntu OS on a external SSD please?.

Can it be done?.

I THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart, from my legs, to send it all out, to send this thank you.

thank you people.

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

3. Julien, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm guessing English is 2ed (or maybe 3ed) language and he/she is not aware of the tone. After all how many times have you been thanked from someones legs?:eek:

I had shellfish this weekend and yum. :D

4. Focuslined thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

English is my first language, why is my English awful?. Do I need to read more or even write more?, such as write more stories?.

Thank you.

:)

if it matters, got delexia and some others

5. Focuslined thread starter macrumors newbie

6. RubberSol macrumors newbie

Hi, I've used your tutorial to make my Ubuntu external Hard Drive, and it works perfectly...

Now I need to work with the partitions. And I don't know how to begin with that.

My external HD was partitioned that way:

/ (40Gb)

/home (40Gb)

swap (32Gb)

/ boot efi (or something like that) (50Mb)

fat32 (200Gb)

When I boot the system, it shows me the internal HD (the OSX one), and the /boot efi (or something like that), and don't show the fat32 partition. And I wanna just the oposite... =(
    Cause I want to use the fat32 partition like a pen drive to work on any system that i work on...

Hope that you understand my question, and can help. Thank you very much.

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Post your /etc/fstab file. It may not be automounting the fat32 partition at boot.

8. RubberSol macrumors newbie

Going in the page, i saw that:

1. I installed reFIND first. (By just dropping the install file into terminal).

In the last commentary... Now, i tried that, and can't install...

I install the reFIND, first, in the external HD. Then i put the Ubuntu DVD, and begin install... Ok...

BUT

When i got to partition the External HD to make the partitions of linux (/ ; swap ; /home), it don't let me do it... =/
    Then, I can't install... I can install if I let the External HD free, but then i need a CD or a PenDrive with reFIND, thats dumb... I just wanna install reFind there, and boot with just one drive...

As you see, format the External HD thats not a problem... But how can I install reFIND, and format the free space later?