How do I install Windows 7 on 3 new Macs?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zipforia, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Zipforia macrumors member

I have three Macs I want to install Windows 7 Home Premium on. Never had Windows install on any of these Macs. This will be the first time. Which Windows 7 do I purchase?

1. Home Premium Family Pack Upgrade
    2. Home Premium single use

The reason why I ask is...Isn't single use Windows 7 only allow one computer installation? However, if I get the Upgrade, then I have licenses for 3 computers, but I have to have a previous version of Windows installed for it to work...no? I'm so confused!

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As Granny says, there is no technical requirement to actually have Windows installed on the machine to actually install from upgrade media.

However three full license, non-upgrade, non-family pack licenses is the only way to be 100% compliant with the licenses if you don't have any other licenses of Windows that you could legally transfer to the Macs.

B

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Technically I didn't have any previous version of Windows installed on my MacBook Pro or my desktop PC. However, I do own Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98SE, XP and Vista and thus I believe I am entitled to having the upgrade disc (also, I purchased it through my university software program which didn't help by just providing the upgrade disc only).

In my opinion, I don't get why Microsoft still insist on a full SKU and and upgrade SKU. I believe it should be just one version of Windows 7 that provides both an upgrade path and a clean install path.

The fact that I have so many versions of Windows is probably the reason why I lack a lovingly relationship with a girl...

...Oh well, I made my choice.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, the fact that -- despite making a lot of noise about needing an activated license of XP or Vista installed on the machine to perform the upgrade -- It works just fine without it makes it very hard to take them seriously.

People would be far less inclined to pirate/copy/use Windows outside it's license if it was simple and cheap to get a license and the limitations of the license were simple to understand.

B

6. Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

Granny,

Yes. I mean I'm talking about the Family Pack that allows for 3 installations on 3 different computers.

Balam,

So, you're saying it IS possible to perform a clean installation of Windows7 on 3 clean Macs just using a Windows7 Family Pack Upgrade version (3 licenses)? Can you refer me to an article that guides me though this? BTW, I can care less about the super legit way of getting all my Macs to run Windows7. I just want all of my Macs to be able to run Windows7 and get updates without having issues.

7. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

That URL that I posted has everything you need to perform a clean install. I used the registry modification (method 2, I think) to activate my Windows 7 Professional install that came on an upgrade disc.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And Method 3 (the old double install) has worked flawlessly for me in two cases where I upgraded from Vista, but didn't want to carry along all the cruft from the previous install.

Just be aware that, since you are not holding up your end of the license, Microsoft doesn't have to hold up theirs. They could easily suspend updates, etc...

B

9. Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

Balam,

MS should be happy that I'm actually willing to pay for Windows now. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Thanks for you help, B...and everyone that participated in this thread!

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

ok i have a question:
    does the same method apply for virtualization through say- virtualbox?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Absolutely for a dedicated VM only solution.

For a shared VM/Boot Camp installs you may wish to follow the VM software's suggestions for order of activation.

B

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

can you expand.. do you mean enter the Product key during the VM setup?
    im still a bit confused in the process over all as mentioned in the link. do you never ever put the previous version serial key (let alone any serial key- even for win 7?)
    thanks

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. If installing from upgrade media to a VM alone you should first install without entering the product key and then enter the Win 7 product key only after the install is complete by one of these methods (1) just try it (2) change the registry key then enter the key (3) upgrade over your no product key (30 day trial) install this time using the key.

The previous version key and software do not enter anywhere and you do not even need to have the software at all except to satisfy your conscience and the requirements of the license.

For the shared VM/Boot Camp install you should refer to your VM software instructions as to how/when to activate for best results.

B