How do I install Windows 7 via a flashdrive/USB stick through BootCamp on MacBook?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rossikool, Jul 6, 2014.

1. rossikool macrumors newbie

I opened package contents on bookcamp assistant and deleted the pre usb thingy so then I get an option to put the windows 7 .iso on my flash drive.

I then moved on to selecting install windows 7, then portioned my HDD giving then windows part 140GB.

The macbook powered off/restarted to load windows up but a blank screen appeared stating ...no bootable drive found, even though my flash drive is in the macbook still.

well I have managed to get back to my macbooks desktop. The version of windows I downloaded is 32 bit could that be why it didn't work?

I am downloading a 64 bit version now.

Is there anyother reason why windows isn't booting up from my flash drive? should I try windows 8?

cheers.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If your Mac has an optical drive, you need to use a DVD to install Windows. If you're running OS X Mountain Lion or later, you need to use a 64-bit version of Windows.

3. rossikool thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a tutorial on how to make a disk and install windows that way via boot camp

4. chrisrand macrumors member

This is from another post

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1603694

Originally Posted by coolio93 View Post
    I had this problem and it took my hours to find a fix. Apparently the problem presents itself because the keyboard/mouse in the new MBA are usb3.0 which require a driver not present in the windows 7 install media.

Here is what I did:

First erase any history of trying to install windows.....that means use boot camp or disk utility to delete any windows partitions that you may have created.

Now restart your laptop

from here on:

1)download a windows 7 iso from here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-3ca30356fc3d

(This is a legit copy of ultimate from the Microsoft website)

2) start bootcamp and when it asks you what you want to do, check the first two options (create windows 7 install disk and download support media)

let it work...once it is done then quit bootcamp COMPLETELY.

3) start bootcamp again and this time select install support media to the same usb drive

let it work and then quit bootcamp COMPLETELY.

4) start bootcamp and this time select install windows 7. bootcamp will automatically restart your computer into windows setup. From there continue on like normal.

you have to let bootcamp restart your computer (you can't close bootcamp and then restart from the menu yourself...you must let bootcamp do the restart)

your usb drive shouldn't come out of your computer during any of these steps.

I've tested and this works for me.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Only other thing to add is to make sure you're using a USB 2.0 flash drive and don't have any other USB drives connected during the process.