how do I install windows 7 without osx? please help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dreamer4610, Mar 26, 2011.

1. dreamer4610 macrumors newbie

hi guys, I've just ordered my first macbook yesterday. its a 11" MBA 4gb, 64 ssd. I didn't really want to spend another $200 for 64gb but I'm starting to regret it now. this will serve as my travel notebook/ second computer around the house. I'm a big fan of Apple products but this will be for work travel so have no need for OSX, is there a way I can just have windows 7 on it to save space? I've been looking around but could not find anything. thanks

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

3. dreamer4610 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh please, there's no need for that. there's nothing on the market that compares to the MBA.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

"All you have to do is have XP install on the entire hard drive instead of just the partition."

I would assume the directions would be similar for W7.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do yourself a favor and install OS X on an external drive so you can use it if you need to (e.g. firmware updates) before you remove it from the MBA. Use CCC or SuperDuper to clone the SSD to the external HDD.

The challenge on the MBA is the lack of the built in optical drive. You might have to dedicate a ~8 GB internal partition to the Windows 7 installer to get it installed.

B

6. Dr McKay, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

7. dreamer4610 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. dreamer4610 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using boot camp and the min for os x is 22GB..is there a way I could make it less so I have more space for windows? any advice is appreciated, thank you.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just about all office work software have OS X version that won't suffer the Windows problem of slowing down inexplicably.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I already suggested one way. Move OS X to an external drive. Voila zero space required on the internal.

Other ways to consider:

Monolingual. http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Run GrandPerspective http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/ and see what's taking up all the space? You may be able to remove thing like Garageband that may be eating up a lot of that.

B

11. dreamer4610 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply, I'm starting to like os x now :) so I wanted to keep it on to play around.