How do I install Windows 8 RTM on my MacBook Air with Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PretZL, Jan 8, 2013.

1. PretZL macrumors newbie

You guys are my last hope. I've been looking for an answer to this for days and I can't believe I can't find it.

Right now: I have Parallels Desktop 8 installed on my MBA, and I have Windows 8 Release Preview installed on it. This Release Preview will expire next week.

What I want: To buy and install a full version of Windows 8 RTM as a replacement.

I've read that it is not possible to upgrade from Windows 8 Release Preview to Windows 8 RTM. My only option is to use this System Builder disc.

So if this is true, how can I do this without a SuperDrive? Can i create an ISO of the System Builder disc using my Windows 7 laptop and then use that ISO with Parallels on my MacBook Air?

Is there anything else I can do?

Any help is immensely appreciated!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have an external ODD for your MBA? If so you should just be able to point Parallels at that. Otherwise, make an ISO on another machine as you suggest. That should work fine.

B

3. PretZL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. I don't have an external ODD. Hopefully the ISO will work. I thought maybe there would be some protection on the disc that prevents it.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Generally not. The product key and online activation is the protection.

B