How do I install windows 98 so Virtual PC can run it

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by l0g0p7, Oct 23, 2010.

1. l0g0p7 macrumors newbie

I have a mac powerbook g3 laptop and have successfully installed Virtual PC on. My problem is that when I open Virtual PC it just comes up with a black Virtual PC programme window. Once its done that I am unable to do any thing with Virtual PC because its frozen and in order to get out of the programme I have to force quit it. What do I do to get it to run windows 98? (I have both the Virtual PC disk and the windows 98 disk).

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Which Mac OS are you trying to run Virtual PC on? If you are locking up then something went wrong with the install, or doesn't like the version of Mac OS you are using.

Hugh

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Just out of morbid curiosity, why do you want to run Win98? Do you have some app that is really old that only runs on it?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's a G3 for crying out loud. It is old. 98 will probably bring it to its knees.

B

5. l0g0p7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hugh: Mac OS 9.1.
    SandboxGeneral: I have some old game (pandoras box and lego loco) that I would like to be able to play.
    balamw: when OS 9 was in style my dad had virtual PC running quite nicely on Mac OS 9 but he has forgotten how to install the windows system so that Virtual PC can run it.

6. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Some Full (ie Not an Upgrade) Windows 98 CDs are bootable. My Windows 98 SE cd is bootable. I have no idea how the upgrades work, like do you have to have 95 installed first.

Or can you just make a Windows 95 DOS Boot disk and go from there. It's been a long time since I've played with VPC, I only played with it a few times because it was so slow on my G4 tower. :(

Sorry I'm not much help, but if you get your hands on a full 98 (SE only?) disk that is bootable, you are all set.

Hugh