How do i install Windows on a macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by raffeeki9494, Mar 12, 2008.

1. raffeeki9494 macrumors newbie

hey all, i need help installing windows on a macbook pro, id reallyl ike to get call of duty 4 or counterstrike source up on my mac, since cod 4 doesnt come out for the mac till may. thanks

Raffeeki:)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Do you have a copy of XP SP2 or Vista and do you have 30GB or more of disk space to install into? If so, startup Bootcamp Assistant in /Applications/Utilities and follow the instructions.

3. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

There are also the options of vmware or parallel.. they are third party softwares that allow you to run both windows and os seamlessly together. I recommend XP PRO SP2 if ure gonna go with vmware. it seems to be the one that is the most stable. I tried vista and it was pretty buggy, some of the drivers were not installed...etc..

4. raffeeki9494 thread starter macrumors newbie

umm...im 13 years old, i kinda have no clue what that means, im not the best with computer words :D how do i install and get these softwares?

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I would ask for an adult close to you to help you with the installs. It may be easiest going that route.

6. raffeeki9494 thread starter macrumors newbie

eh, i probably know the most about computers in my family, next to my mom, though my parents are probably the mont intellegint people ill ever meet, just not with computers, with business....so im probably better off doing it myself, lol

7. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

He wants to play some pretty demanding games, so any virtual machines would really be out of the question.

raffeeki9494, do you even have Windows that you can use? If you don't, then you'll need to go out and buy Windows. If you have XP/Vista on another computer, then you can't use that key (assuming this is a HP, Dell, Compaq, ect).

I think the leopard manual comes with a tutorial on how to use boot camp.

8. raffeeki9494 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a macbook pro, got it this past christmas, and no, i dont have a windows, which one should i buy, and how much does it cost?

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Just get a OEM version of XP home or pro,thats the cheapest,just try googling it,not to sure about the
    Vista OEM versions as there's so many of em

10. raffeeki9494 thread starter macrumors newbie

alrighty, whats oem? and what xp home and pro, lol, im totally new to this type o thing, i used to have pcs not mac...:)

11. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

12. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

And you don't know what XP Home and XP Pro is?

OEM is the license that companies like Dell, HP, Compaq, ect, use. Those companies generally get the license straight from Microsoft. However, these licenses are sold through online retailers (and maybe a few specialty stores) to you, the end user. The difference between OEM licenses and Retail licenses (what you would find in Best Buy, Wal Mart, Circuit City, ect) is price and the licensing. OEM licenses are typically over half the price of their retail counter part for the same operating system. However, the catch is that OEM licenses aren't transferable. What this means is if the computer dies, you can't install the OS on another computer with that key. It doesn't matter if you uninstall the OS or not.

Windows XP comes in 3 versions:

Windows XP Home Edition (what the typical computer would use, such as yourself).
    Windows XP Media Center Edition (This is available only as an OEM license, which is described abovel. It also can't be installed on a Macbook Pro, because I believe it comes on 2 CDs. It comes with Windows Media Center).
    Windows XP Professional (Typically used by companies. Offers many features that you will probably never use. It's great for large networks and network administration).

If you want to go the Vista route, here are the versions:

Windows Vista Home Basic (Basically equivilent in features to XP Home, but it has a ton of features cut out from all other versions of Vista. I personally see it being used on older computers).

Windows Vista Home Premium (Equivilent to XP Media Center Edition. It includes Windows Media Center (NOT included in Vista Home Basic), as well as the Aero interface (NOT included in Vista Home Basic). Aero interface is the "glass" look around the borders and taskbar. It also does help free up the CPU a tad).

Windows Vista Business (Equivilent to XP Professional. Does not include Media Center. Includes many administrative features that you would probably never use. It does however have the Aero interface. It does however have a backup program similar to Time Machine in Leopard, although not as user friendly).

Windows Vista Enterprise (Not available to consumers, so don't worry about what it does or doesn't have).

Windows Vista Ultimate (Includes everything from Vista Enterprise, Vista Business and Vista Home Premium as well as "Ultimate" Extras, which includes Texas Hold'em and Dreamscape (movies as wallpapers). I Personally don't feel that it's worth the extra money, as all the features you'd probably only use is included in Vista Home Premium).

In terms of performance, on the Macbook Pro, I get the same performance in Counter Strike Source in XP as I do in Vista. So it's really up to you to decide what to get. I do however feel that Vista is a lot easier to install compared to XP (although XP's install process is 7 years old and is very similar to Windows 2000).

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, I'm jealous I can't believe your parents would buy a 13 yr old a $2500 laptop, I wanna be on your parents xmas list next year. :D

14. raffeeki9494 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, no, i didnt, because it was usually already on whichever computer i used....

my parents kinda make a lotta money, so i get expensive things :D