How do I jailbreak my Verizon iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SR71, Jun 12, 2011.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

I will be getting a Verizon iPhone 4 tomorrow and I am wondering how to jailbreak it? I have looked online for tutorials, but I don't know what the latest firmware is for the Verizon iPhone, although I think it is 4.2.8 (correct me if I am wrong).

In all of the tutorials I have looked at, they all say that the jailbreak is for the GSM iPhone 4, which is the AT&T Model, not the Verizon Model.

So, can someone give me a step-by-step tutorial on how to jailbreak the Verizon iPhone with links and everything to the programs/files that I'll need?

Thanks in advance. :)

Also, what are the risks of jailbreaking an iPhone on Verizon?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Latest CDMA firmware is 4.2.8
    You will need snowbreeze.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Just google jailbreak for iOS 4.2.8 or 4.2.6 depending what you have.

4. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm, alright. I downloaded the CDMA 4.2.8 firmware, but is it possible to use redsn0w instead of sn0wbreeze so that I can do this on my Mac? Is it even possible to jailbreak the Verizon iPhone on a Mac with redsn0w or any other application, or is it only possible with sn0wbreeze on Windows? If it's only possible by using sn0wbreeze on Windows, that's not a problem, I'd just prefer for it to be done on my Mac.

5. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I checked that out already. The link for the firmware bundle on hotfile is dead, and after reading a few pages of that thread, it appears that that method of jailbreaking doesn't work. I guess it's Windows only for no. Eh, whatever, it's no problem, I just would've preferred doing everything on my Mac.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

yeah weird looks like it was pulled or something. I'm att so that's what I'm used to.

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

do some more searching on this forum.. im constantly telling people how to jb on 4.2.8

on a mac.

here

9. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the link. I'll try that tomorrow when I get my iPhone.

Are there any risks to jailbreaking a Verizon iPhone? If something goes wrong, can I just restore through iTunes to bring my phone back to a normal working condition?

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Quick question sorry to thread jack...Ugh I have a Mac because MacBook Pro + iPhone 4 = Bliss in life. Anyways can I jailbreak my iPhone 4 using my windows laptop with no issues in terms of iTunes being lame or anything?:rolleyes::eek::eek:

11. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

You should be able to do it fine on a Windows laptop. I've jailbroken iPod's in the past, but never an iPhone, but I figure it'll be the same. And I agree, MacBook Air + iPhone 4 = bliss. :)

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah Just got it Jailbroken. I might just restore it though because I don't think their is a way to restore with the jailbreak all the stuff that got deleted off my iPhone :( or is there? I synced my iPhone with my MacBook Pro right before I jailbroke it on my windows laptop so idk how that would work....advise?

13. MrRoo macrumors newbie

It's easy with pwnagetools, I jailbroke my Verizon with no prior experience in about 20 minutes.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Not to beat a dead horse, but....

I have spent a few hours now trying to get my head on right about this jailbreaking thing and am at a impasse....

I have successfully downloaded the files from the iphoneblogger (pwnagetool, 4.2.8 bundle and 4.2.8 firmware) and have completed step 1 and most of step 2. Step 2 is where I get a bit confused.

Site says "proceed to jailbreak with pwnage tools". Ok, fine. Except the video embed (I assume is a walkthrough/directions) is broken, and none of the other tutorials for actually using pwnagetool mention (AFAIK) the modified bundle.

Do I simply go on about it as if it was the same for jb'ing an earlier version with a walkthrough? Does anyone have a tutorial to use in conjunction with this?

Anyways, I already tried a few things and am comfortable with restoring it so I am just going to have at it after work today. Can't wait to get home and start playing around!

PS- I am aware I am a "noob" but I am really looking forwards to starting to tinker with making themes and everything else. I got into web design the same way, just kind of stumbling blindly around until it worked! So glad to see I can use html and css in theming!!!

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Any luck, i am having the same issue the link to the video is broke and the ones i do find show the need to check the "Activate the Phone" radio button and it will not let me click it.

16. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I don't know why you guys are wasting your time with pwnagetool on a verizon phone. The latest redsn0w will jailbreak 4.2.8 just fine.

17. ooboodog macrumors newbie

Here is where I am at, maybe someone can help:

Iphone 4 (Verizon) 4.2.8
    Windows based computer

I have downloaded SnowBreeze. I was able to complete the sync, but I don't have a cydia app.

From there, I then tried a friends suggestion of Redsn0w and I got the application opened on my windows PC and it prompts me to browse for my IPSW. This is where I get stuck here.

I will take advice on either, my main objective in jailbreaking is to be able to use my Iphone4 as a wi-fi hotspot.

18. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This worked well for me, after I downloaded the ipsw file it was a snap. Now I am just slowly walking through all of the JB options. I have downloaded sbsettings and that is a great app. I want to add some themes so I downloaded winterboard.

19. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So you used RedSn0w, was this done on a Mac?

In just got an iPhone myself and am glad I'm not the only one needing help JB'ing my Verizon iPhone.

I'm doing it simply for the MyWi and a few other apps such as Locktopus and SbSettings.

I've successfully jail broken iPods before but thought it would be so much more difficult to JB an iPhone, seeing as I don want to be caught by the phone company.

20. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Yes just google Reds0w 4.2.8 on a mac and go from there. You download the Redsn0w package, you also will need the correct ipsw for your phone (also google 4.2.8 .ipsw) and go from there. I had to run through it twice, was not fast enough holding the power/menu button the first time around.

21. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I actually just JailBroke my iPhone 4 about 15 minutes ago. It was incredibly easy. I'm searching Cydia apps now and am loving a good amount of apps in there.

Specifically scoping out a MyWi type app; which i'll probably end up buying MyWi...and secondly, one of those apps that allows me to make and receive Facetime calls from anywhere.

Oh! & i'd love a Nintendo emulator game. Though I see 2 different ones and one of them says it doesn't contain any ROMS, of which i'm guessing are the games, which is odd. If you have any input re: any of this i'd sure appreciate.

Thanks!

22. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

no need to buy mywi for 10 bucks or whatever it is. buy tetherme. works great.