How do I keep iPhoto from opening?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GovtLawyer, Oct 19, 2014.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I just updated my computer and my mobile devices to Yosemite. Ever since then every time I connected one of my devices to iTunes, iPhoto opens up. I do not use iPhoto, Never have! I use light room and Photoshop elements. How do I prevent iPhoto from opening up every time I connect a mobile device to iTunes?

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Probably in the iPhoto Preferences Menu.

I don't use iPhoto, but I do use Aperture. In aperture it is Preferences > Import

Then I select the action when a camera is connected.

ps.

You can also delete iPhoto. I don't use it and I don't have it on my computer to save space.

3. 576316 macrumors 601

Go into preferences in iPhoto and there's a little drop down menu that says 'When camera is connected...' change that to 'Do Nothing'.

----------

After my fresh install of Yosemite, iPhoto and iMovie were not installed for some reason (I thought they were there by default with an OS X install). I went to the App Store to see if I just needed to re-download them and it said I had to pay £13.99 a piece. Luckily I was able to pull them off of my Time Machine back up. Same happened with iWork which are apparently now meant to be free. I had to re-install Pages and MAS said I had to pay for it (again, I bought it the first time). Dunno what's going on with the MAS but it seems to forget your purchases!!

In short, you're welcome to remove iPhoto and iMovie from your Mac but don't guarantee you'll be able to get them back in the future.

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Hmm... I had this issue with iMovie. It wouldn't download from the updates page/screen. However, when I went to the purchases screen it downloaded properly.

Also on my downloads screen, iPhoto is still there and available for install.

5. 576316 macrumors 601

For some reason Pages along with all of the other Apple apps disappeared from my Purchases page. I can only see ones I've bought. Which is odd, because I actually paid for Pages the first time I got that.