How do I keep my Finder window opening the way I leave it?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by howruyes, Dec 22, 2013.

1. howruyes macrumors newbie

I like my finder window to open very large, nearly fullscreen, with large icons, and when I set it to those settings and X the window out, it will remain that way only for a limited time. A day later, or after some time has passed, I will open the Finder window again and it will be super small, causing me to resize it again.. and again.. and again. It's getting pretty annoying. The icons remain the size I set them to though. It's really weird. Anyone know how to make it stay opening in a large sized window perpetually? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to have to resize it over a hundred times a year. :confused::):apple:

2. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You may be doing something wrong or you have something installed that's causing that. My Finder window remains the same size day after day and I never have to resize it, except the full screen mode which changes back to my usual size. I keep it much larger than the default.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You should restart Finder for it to save it's settings. Closing a window from red-X traffic light will only close the window, not Finder.

4. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

Once you have your Finder window the size you like, do an Option-click on it's proxy (the folder icon you see in the window title bar, left to it's name).
    Nothing will happen, but after you close the window it should open at the same spot and with the same size.

5. howruyes thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't give me a quit options for Finder. How exactly do I "restart" it? Thanks.

----------

The only thing I have installed on my new iMac is "Steam" which is like iTunes for video games, that's it. :confused:

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Via Force quit on Apple menu or via Dock (keep Alt depressed) or via command line
    Code:
    killall Finder

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Try closing Finder with the yellow (-) button instead of the red (x) button. I find that this works pretty well for keeping the Finder window the way I left it, although I haven't tested it extensively.