How do I keep Safari, Mail, Ipod,etc. to stop running in the background?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PantherInCrime, Jun 19, 2009.

1. PantherInCrime macrumors newbie

Terrible grammar in the subject, sorry!
    I installed 3.0 on my 3g the other day and now Safari, Mail, and Ipod all run in the background all of the time. It's really eating up my battery. Before the update, I'd hold the home button for 6 seconds and it would completely close out the app I was currently using. With the update this no longer works...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

First of all. Are/were you jailbroke? Because they shouldn't be eating up your battery suddenly. Mine don't. Anyways. There is a new way to force quit apps.

Force Quit Unresponsive Apps

Because of multiple functionality for the Home button, this key will no longer force quit unresponsive apps like it did in 2.X software. To force quit an application in 3.0, you have to hold the sleep/wake button at the top until the red power off slider appears. Then you have to hold down the home button to quit the unresponsive application.

3. PantherInCrime thread starter macrumors newbie

4. wildonrio macrumors 6502

5. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

You didn't have to jailbreak to force close Safari. You could just close any other pages you have open until you have a blank page, then just exit Safari.

As for the other ones, hold the power button until the red slider shows, then hold the home button until it takes you back to the home screen.

6. crashnburn macrumors 6502

I am having this issue in iPhone 4 4.2.1. I remember installing some thingy that prevented them from running automatically in the background on my previous iPhone 2G 3.1.2.

Can the same be done here?